Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.14060°N / 71.645°W
Additional Information Elevation: 4840 ft / 1475 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Little Haystack is located in the center of the Franconia Ridge in New Hampshire's White Mountains. To the north along the ridge are Lafayette and Lincoln and to the south are Liberty and Flume. This peak is 1/3 of the popular Franconia Ridge Traverse Trail that incorporates it and the two to the north into a looping ridge walk. On clear days, views are outstanding among the White Mountains. Sorry to say that, even though this one is almost 5000 feet, it doesn't count as a 4000 footer by the Appalachian Mountain Club because it's less than 200 feet from the col to Lincoln. See if the thru-hikers care though as they traverse this on the Appalachian Trail which goes over Franconia Ridge.

Little Haystack can be reached from the north via the Franconia Ridge Traverse (for details of that trail see Mts. Lafayette or Lincoln routes pages). It can also be reached from the south via a ridge trail from Mt. Liberty. The most direct way is on the Falling Waters Trail from the Mt. Lafayette Campground at the base of this mountain along Interstate 93. This trail has numerous waterfalls and rock formations and makes for scenic hike.

Getting There

From Boston, take I-93 north into New Hampshire and just to the north of Woodstock, NH, look for the exit for the Lafayette Campground. The trailhead for the north approach as well as the Falling Waters Trail start from this parking lot.

You can also park at the lot on the other side of the highway by looping around at the next exit north and coming back. This lot is directly across the highway from the one with the trailhead but it is staffed and more secure from break-ins. It's also easier to head south from this lot after your climb.

Red Tape

This falls within a state park so there are no fees or red tape.

When To Climb

Year round depending on weather.

 

Camping

Can camp at the Greenleaf Hut on Mt. Lafayette or at the trailheads at Lafayette Campground.

Mountain Conditions

Franconia Notch State Park
(603) 745-8391

Ammonoosuc Ranger Station
(603) 869-2626





Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

White Mountains (NH/ME)Mountains & Rocks
 
Twin & Franconia RangesMountains & Rocks
 
Northeast Alpine PeaksMountains & Rocks