Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.72500°N / 83.242°W
Additional Information Elevation: 5925 ft / 1806 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Inadu Knob is a prominent peak along the spine of the Great Smoky Mountains. While somewhat shorter than some of its better known and mightier sister peaks (such as Mounts Chapman, Sequoyah, Guyot, and Old Black), it is nevertheless a major mountain of the Southern Appalachians.
Inadu KnobInadu

In addition to its sheer height and bulk, Inadu Knob is home to some of the best old growth forests in all of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The trees that grow here are easily as large and fine as those in even the Boogerman Grove in Cattaloochee. If one cannot find time to make the hike all the way to the summit, and climb from the cove hardwood ecosystem into the Canadian Zone, then a push to the Albright Grove is still a worthwhile trip.

One of the views from around...High country

Getting There

The Baxter Cabin (circa...Baxter Cabin
From I-40, one can take exit 451 and head to Davenport Gap and hike via the AT. Or continue on 32 to the Cosby Campground and hike in from several trailheads there. Or continue on 321/73 to Baxter Road and make a left turn to the Maddron Bald Trailhead and hike up that way.

From Gatlinburg and 441, take 321/73 North to Baxter Road, or to Cosby Campground.


Red Tape

If staying in the backcountry, one must camp only at desingated sites and get a backcountry camping permit at a ranger station.

View from about one quarter...Views

When To Climb

All year. The conditions in winter can be severe. Thunderstorms are a concern any time of year.

The Otter Creek Campsite....Otter Creek.

Camping

Camping is allowed at developed campsites inside the park. The nearest one to Inadu Knob is at Cosby. There are designated backcountry sites, also. Otter Creek campsite is on the slopes of Inadu Knob. There are also a number of private campgrounds near the trailheads at Baxter Road and Cosby.

One of the thousands and...Old Growth Forests

Mountain Conditions

Check with the Great Smoky Mountains National Park for conditions in the high country.

For information on trail conditions, road closings, bear activity, check here.


AT Signpost on InaduTrails

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.