Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 41.04760°N / 74.9726°W
Additional Information County: Warren
Activities Activities: Hiking, Trad Climbing, Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 1565 ft / 477 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview






Catfish is located between Mt. Mohican and Mt. Paradise on the Kittatinny Ridge along the Appalachian Trail. What gives it any significance at all is the fire tower that has some of the best views in New Jersey. Also the Appalachian Mountain Club runs the Mohican Outdoor Center. It is run just like the huts that are in the White Mountains. The fire tower was built in 1922 and is 60 ft. high.
Catfish Ledges is a popular climbing area for local climbers. They have a different name for the mountain, Ricks Rocks.





Whats near Catfish Mt.

Natural Areas:
Catfish Pond - Catfish Pond is a 60 Acre glacial lake in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreational Area. It is the second lowest such lake on the A.T. TheMohican Outdoor Center is located on it's shores. The Trailhead for the Rattlesnake Swamp Trail is near Catfish Pond also.

Getting There

From I-80 Take the RT-94 N exit- EXIT 4C- toward BLAIRSTOWN.
Merge onto NJ-94 E. 8.4 miles to Blairstown, NJ US
Form Rt. 94turn left on to County Rd. 602(Millbrook Rd.). Follow that road for about five miles and you will be on top of the ridge. Park on the left or right side of the road and go south on the A.T.

DIRECTIONS TO MOHICAN OUTDOOR CENTER
Summary: From New York City, eastern Connecticut, and points north:
1) New York Thruway south to 287 south to Route I-80 or GW Bridge to I-80
2) Take I-80 west to Exit 12 (NJ 521) Take right fork in exit, follow signs for Blairstown.
3) NJ 521 north to NJ 94 turn left (south)
4) NJ 94 south for 1.1 miles thru Blairstown to Mohican Rd
5) Right on to Mohican Road
6) Follow directions below from Mohican Road
From central New Jersey:
1) Rt- 31 north until it ends
2) Left on NJ 46 west approx 1 mile to NJ 519
3) NJ 519 north to NJ 521 in Hope
4) NJ 521 north to NJ 94, turn left (south)
5) NJ 94 south for 1.1 miles thru Blairstown to Mohican Road; Right on to Mohican Road
6) Follow directions below from Mohican Road
From Pennsylvania & Philadelphia:
1) NE Extension of PA Turnpike to US 22 East (Lehigh Valley Exit #33)
2) Take US-22 east to PA-33 North
3) PA-33 North to I-80 East
4) I-80 east to NJ-94
5) NJ-94 north about 7 miles to traffic light, new A&P Shopping Center on left
6) About 1 mile past light turn left on Mohican Road
From Mohican Road:
7) Follow Mohican Road 3½ miles to Gaisler Road CAUTION: This is a winding-road with several forks always bear right at the Ys.
8) Turn left on Gaisler Road and go ½ mile.
9) Turn right on Camp Road (just before "Children Playing" sign). This turns into a dirt road.
10) Cross the Appalachian Trail.
11) You will come to an unlocked gate, drive thru.
12) When you see the Lodge on left and a double garage on the right, stop, park and come in to the lodge to register

Red Tape

Recreation area boundaries are marked by white metal markers with green lettering. The Appalachian Trail is marked with white blazes. Side trails to water, scenic viewpoints, or shelters are marked in blue blazes.



Appalachian Trail Governing Regulations
Carry out all trash.
Pets must be on a 6-foot leash at all times.
Horseback riding and bicycle riding are prohibited on the Appalachian Trail within Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.
All types of motorized vehicles are prohibited on the Appalachian Trail, except authorized emergency vehicles.
Cutting, defacing, or removing any natural feature is prohibited.
Self-contained stoves are permitted; ground fires are prohibited. Charcoal stove and grills are prohibited.
Camping is restricted to through-hikers who are hiking for two or more consecutive days.
Camping is limited to one night per campsite.
Camping is limited to ten persons per campsite.
Hikers MUST CAMP within 100 feet of the Appalachian Trail.
Hikers MAY NOT CAMP within 1/2-mile of an established roadway
Hikers MAY NOT CAMP within 200 feet of another camping party

When To Climb

Any season
get weather info here

Camping

See red tape.

The AMC runs Mohican Out door Center About a mile and a quarter from the fire tower where you can stay over night and buy stuff check out the link


Mountain Conditions

weather for Blaristown N.J.

Summit Pics

Post your Summit Pics Here

Miscellaneous Info

External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Kittatinny MountainsMountains & Rocks