Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.80460°N / 71.6303°W
Additional Information Elevation: 690 ft / 210 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Why would someone write about a 690' foot hill in a state famous for mountains like Mt. Lafayette and Mt. Washington?

Once on the summit of Federal Hill you will easily see why. The view from the summit fire tower is beautiful. An even better reason to climb Federal Hill is because it is not as popular as other fire towers in the region. The few people who do hike to this summit, do so to experience solitude. Often it is just you and the fire warden in the tower. Views from the summit fire tower include, the Prudential and John Hancock Towers in Boston, downtown Manchester, most of Nashua, and the entire Wapack Range.

Federal Hill is also the most south of all of the fire towers in New Hampshire. Another distinction about Federal Hill is that Federal Hill has the second lowest elevation for a fire tower in New Hampshire. The tower is also one of the highest in New Hampshire fom the ground to the top. The 80 foot structure stands tall over the ground giving those commanding views.

On the east side of Federal Hill lies the small (0.75 mile, class 1) trail to the summit of Federal Hill. The trail begins gradual but gets steeper as it heads up to the summit. The moderate pitch to the summit is short lived and most make it to the summit in under 20 minutes. Though there are no views along the trail, the views from the fire tower makes this trail a worthwhile hike.

Getting There

VIA THE FIRE TOWER TRAIL: From 101 get of on the Route 13 exit which is just south of Milford. Head south on Route 13 roughly one tenth of a mile and on the the first traffic light make a left on Emerson Frontage Road. Head past the Hampshire Hills Recreation Center and make a right on Ponemah Hill Road. Drive roughly a mile through a residential where you will run into a gated jeep road on your right. Park in such a way that you do not block the entrance and head up the fire tower jeep trail.

Fall Foilage photo



Last pictures of fall foilage from New Hampshire.

New Hampshire Fire Lookout Tower Quest

The state of New Hampshire is now promoting a patch recognizing those who have been in all of the state run fire towers in New Hampshire for more information (there website is under some construction) check out this page for more information.

 

Red Tape

None listed however I wouldn't camp here or go to this location past sunset. The parking area is in a residential area.

 

When to Climb

Anytime. However if you want to visit the very top of the fire tower Late April to until October. This fire tower is one of the tallest in New Hampshire, so use caution in winter if the steps are icy!!

 

Camping

Camping is not allowed on Federal Hill.

 

Mountain Conditions

Here are two websites that will provided you the best information on conditions on Federal Hill. In these two websites refer to all information pertaining to the Monadnock Region and Massachusetts.

Appalachian Mountain Club

Current Trail Conditions

Weather Conditions

This is the best link to weather in Milford.

Weather in Nearby Milford

Summit Picture Log

Post all hero pictures here.




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Concord-Manchester AreaMountains & Rocks