Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.81120°N / 114.0113°W
Additional Information County: Custer
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 11736 ft / 3577 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

In Greek Mythology, Pegasus is the winged horse that was fathered by Poseidon with Medusa. The horse later flew into the heavens and became a constellation. It has been said the peak was named for its resemblance to the mythological beast.
Pegasus Topo.resemble a Flying horse??


A complex peak in the Pioneer range, Pegasus ranks as the 29th highest in Idaho, its rarely visited summit towers over Surprise valley, a high-elevation, glacially-formed, hanging valley. The valley is perched about 1,000 feet above the main Fall Creek drainage and is a, must see for anyone hoping to wander far from the things of man.
Surprise valleySurprise valley rim from the summit
Fall creek area topoFall Creek area Topo


The peak is located 2.3 miles North of Standhope peak and 2 miles south/south west of Big Black Dome. Approach the mountain from Fall Creek Trail head. Immediately cross the bridge over Fall Creek at the parking area, hike 3.5 miles until the trail forks, take the left fork and immediately start up a long series of short switch backs, that takes you to the mouth of Surprise valley, follow the trail to the small alpine lake and turn west, (left) start the long snow climb up the large draw, or follow the class 3 broken ridge on decent rock.
Rout finding funPart of the Ridge route on the west side of the mountain
Left Fork of Fall CreekLeft Fork of Fall Creek from the top

An alternate route follows the fall creek trail for approximately 2.3 miles to the Left Fork of Fall Creek. Follow the Left fork trail for about 2 miles. At the 8,900’ contour, Leave the trail and continue up the left fork for another 2.4 miles. (you’ll have the Awesome north face of Pyramid Peak in your cross-hairs and may be tempted to get a 'probable' first ascent) Ascend the class 3, east facing ridge to the top.

Getting There

From Mackay: Take US Highway 93 16 miles north of Mackay to the Trail Creek Road. Turn left on the Trail Creek Road. Follow this road 18 miles to the Copper Basin Road. Turn left on the Copper Basin Road. Follow this road 2 miles to the Wildhorse Creek Road. Stay to the right on the Wildhorse Creek Road. Follow the Wildhorse Creek Road 3.5 miles to the Fall Creek Road. Turn left on the Fall Creek Road and follow it 1.5 miles to the trailhead.
From Challis: Take US Highway 93 south of Challis to the Trail Creek Road. Turn right on the Trail Creek Road. Follow this road 18 miles to the Copper Basin Road. Turn left on the Copper Basin Road. Follow this road 2 miles to the Wildhorse Creek Road. Stay to the right on the Wildhorse Creek Road. Follow the Wildhorse Creek Road 3.5 miles to the Fall Creek Road. Turn left on the Fall Creek Road and follow it 1.5 miles to the trailhead.
From Sun Valley/Ketchum: Take Highway 75 (main street) to Sun Valley Road. Turn northeast onto the Sun Valley Road. This road turns into Trail Creek Road (closed in winter). Follow this road to the Copper Basin Road

Turn right on the Copper Basin Road. Follow this road 2 miles to the Wildhorse Creek Road. Stay to the right on the Wildhorse Creek Road. Follow the Wildhorse Creek Road 3.5 miles to the Fall Creek Road. Turn left on the Fall Creek Road and follow it 1.5 miles to the trailhead.

Red Tape

No Red tape in the Salmon Challis N.F and please don't leave any.

Camping

Dispersed camping at the trail head with a Handicap accessible toilet and several free sites in Wildhorse canyon.

There is a developed camp ground: Wildhorse campground, located 2.4 miles above the Fal Creek trailhead with the following;
Water: Creek Water
Number of Units: 12
Water: 2 hand pumps (water is only available during the summer months)
Toilets: 2
Fee: $5.00/night
Other Facilities: one group site
Elevation: 7,400 feet
Setting: wooded
General Season of Use: early June through mid October
Elevation: 7,200 feet
General Season of Use: mid June through mid October
Nearby Areas of Interest: Waterfall Trail and Fall Creek Falls, mountain lakes in Fall Creek, Boulder Creek, and the head of Wildhorse Canyon, historic Wildhorse fire lookout and Wildhorse mines.

External Links

Idaho-a-climbing-guide

Idahosummits.com

Salmon-Challis-forest






Climate

The Pioneer Mountains are affected by two basic storms patterns: low altitude cyclonic storms from the Pacific Ocean in the winter and high altitude convectional storms from the Gulf of Mexico and the California coast in the late spring. The area has two wet seasons, winter and late spring. Approximately 60 to 70 percent of the precipitation falls as snow.

Pegasus peak Images



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Pioneer Mountains (ID)Mountains & Rocks
 
Idaho ElevenersMountains & Rocks
 
Idaho Top 100Mountains & Rocks