Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.22400°N / 115.3388°W
Additional Information County: Clark
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 3833 ft / 1168 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Cheyenne Mountain, located on the west side of Las Vegas, provides great views of Las Vegas and Summerlin Peak to the South. This rarely climbed peak is a great evening hike during the winter rising only to 3833 feet. Overshadowed by nearby Lone Mountain, you can be pretty sure that you won’t be bothered with traffic while hiking this mountain.

This peak is best climbed in Winter. With its low elevation it will be too hot to hike in the summer.

Cheyenne Mountain

Getting There

From the strip, take I-15 North to HWY 95. Take HWY 95 North/West towards Reno. Drive on HWY 95 for 6 miles and take exit 81A onto Summerlin Pkwy. Drive for 6 miles to the 215 and take 215 north for 2 miles to Cheyenne Ave. Take Cheyenne Ave West and follow the turns onto Cliff Shadows. After about a half-mile you’ll see W. Gilmore Ave. Park anywhere around here.

Red Tape

No permits are needed to hike Cheyenne Mountain. Just be aware of people driving on the off roads that go back into these remote areas to do illegal dumping.

The Hike

From your vehicle, go across the street (Cliff Shadows) and start hiking the NE ridge to the summit. There is about 900 feet of elevation gain and it is only about 0.67 miles to the summit. If you want to take a different route you can hike up on the off roads and up onto the ridge and then over to the summit.

Route up Cheyenne Mountain

GPS Trace of Cheyenne Mountain

External Links



  • Rambles & Scrambles The Definitive Guide to Peakbagging Around Las Vegas; A great Resource. Cheyenne Mountain is in this book.