Volcan Atitlan - Guatemala

Volcan Atitlan - Guatemala

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 14.58407°N / 91.18664°W
Additional Information County: Solola
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11598 ft / 3535 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Atitlán Volcano is in the Guatemalan Highlands, along a west-northwest trending chain of volcanoes parallel to the mid-American trench. The volcano perches on the southern rim of the Atitlán caldera, which contains Lake Atitlán. Since the major caldera-forming eruption 85 thousand years ago (ka), three stratovolcanoes—San Pedro, Tolimán, and Atitlán—have formed in and around the caldera. Atitlán is the youngest and most active of the three volcanoes. Atitlán Volcano is a composite volcano, with a steep-sided, symmetrical cone comprising alternating layers of lava flows, volcanic ash, cinders, blocks, and bombs.

Volcan San Pedro viewed from Volcan Atitlannice view from the summit to the San Pedro volcano
Since the arrival of the Spanish in the mid-1400’s, eruptions have occurred in six eruptive clusters (1469, 1505, 1579, 1663, 1717, 1826–1856). Owing to its distance from population centers and the limited written record from 200 to 500 years ago, only an incomplete sample of the volcano’s behavior is documented prior to the 1800’s. The geologic record provides a more complete sample of the volcano's behavior since the 19th century. Geologic and historical data suggest that the intensity and pattern of activity at Atitlán Volcano is similar to that of Fuego Volcano, 44 km to the east, where active eruptions have been observed throughout the historical period.
Panoramic from Atitlan s Volcanofantastic panomaric view from summit
Because of Atitlán’s moderately explosive nature and frequency of eruptions, there is a need for local and regional hazard planning and mitigation efforts. Tourism has flourished in the area; economic pressure has pushed agricultural activity higher up the slopes of Atitlán and closer to the source of possible future volcanic activity. This report summarizes the hazards posed by Atitlán Volcano in the event of renewed activity but does not imply that an eruption is imminent. However, the recognition of potential activity will facilitate hazard and emergency preparedness.
Atitlan volcanoviews from Atitlan lake, behind 2 volcanoes San Pedro and Toliman

Getting There

TO SAN LUCAS TOLIMAN
A) From Guatemala city to SOLOLA (2 or 3 hours) by bus. Then to Godinez and descent to San Lucas Toliman all the way at the edge of the Atitlan Lake.

B) From LAS TRAMPAS (2 hours) by car - 117 kilometres from Guatemala city. Go direct to Godinez then San Lucas Toliman.

C) From south coast in Escuintla. then 113 kilometers searching Patulul then San Lucas Toliman. between this 2 towns is Tarrales... the south route to climb.

TO CLIMB

A) Popular route from San Lucas Toliman to the south, Then get to Finca Pampojila searching El Chanan to the west. El Chanan is the middle union of a twin volcano - Toliman. This point is recommended to camping and is useful to climb both volcanoes. From El Chanan is Toliman to the north and Atitlan to the south. To Chanan 3 hours plus 3 or 4 hours to the top.

B) Very similar to the A route, is from Santiago Atitlan Village. To the west to get El Chanan, then a right hand path to the south direct to the summit.

C) Starting in from 3 different propeties planctation Tanrales, Los Andes or Vesubio. all are located to the south. This is a direct trail to the summit, BUT be fisically and mentality prepared to many more hours to ascend.
Volcan Atitlanviewed from central town park of San Lucas Toliman



Red Tape

No fees... But is a good idea to take a guide, many trails in the planctations are very confusing. Roberies are reported very often, is highly recommended go with or notify security.

Camping

No huts or facilities at all. Just a plane area "El Chanan" just in the middle of Toliman and Atitlan volcanoes is recommended to camp. Great point to start the hiking to the both volcanoes. My own site

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.