Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.66938°N / 106.31778°W
Additional Information County: Chaffee
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13646 ft / 4159 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Southeast Face
Southeast Face

 
West/ Mt. Mamma
Northeast Face
 
Mt. Mamma & Grizzly Lake
West Face

 
Southeast Face
Southeast Face

Mt Mamma is a high 13er that rises in the Sawatch Mountains of Central Colorado near the town of Buena Vista. The western slopes of Mt. Mamma are steep talus fields that drop more than 3000 ft to the bottom of Grizzly Gulch where Grizzly Lake is located. To the south, Mt. Mamma is connected to Grizzly Mountain and to the northeast, it connects to Boulder Mountain.

To the southeast of Mt. Mamma, you will find a high valley that houses many lakes including the 12050 ft high Baldwin Lake. A Jeep Trail starts in the nearby Chalk Creek Valley and climbs Baldwin Gulch. A branch of the Jeep Trail goes to the famous 14er Mt. Antero and the other branch goes up near Baldwin Lake to end at an abandoned mine at an elevation of 12586 ft on the southeastern slopes of Mt. Mamma. From the end of the trail, the summit of Mt. Mamma can be reached by going up gentle slopes that are covered by boulders. A roundtrip hike from the start of the Jeep Trail to the summit of Mt. Mamma and back is 13.5 miles long.

To the north of Mt. Mamma, a high ridgeline continues more than a mile giving rise to Point 13553 ft and Point 13523 ft. For some reason, the USGS Map puts the words “Mt. Mamma” near Point 13553 ft. This point, however, has only around 50 ft of prominence. Mountain climbers generally consider Point 13646 ft as the true summit of Mt. Mamma.
North Face
North Face, Mt. Mamma on the right, Summit is 3rd bump from right

Getting There

The trailhead for Mt. Mamma is the same as the trailhead for Mt. Antero.

From the town of Buena Vista drive 8 miles south on Route 285 to a place known as Nathrop and then turn west onto Route 162. Drive the road 12.2 miles until you see the sign for Baldwin Gulch/Mt. Antero Trailhead (the first 10 miles are paved and the rest is a smooth dirt road passable by any car)

Route, via Baldwin Lake Jeep Trail

The information provided here focuses on hiking the Baldwin Lake/Mt. Antero road. For information about driving the road, please see “External Links” at the bottom of the page.
Map
Map

All distances are per my GPS.

Place
Elevation
Distance
Trailhead
9420 ft
zero miles
Boulder Mtn. Rd Jct
10300 ft
1.2 miles
Mt. Antero Rd Jct
10850 ft
1.5 miles
Dead End Mine Jct
11770 ft
1.6 miles
Trail to Baldwin Lake Jct
12000 ft
0.7 miles
End of Rd/Mine
12586 ft
1.1 miles
Mt. Mamma
13646 ft
0.6 miles
Total
-
6.7 miles


At the trailhead, you will see a sign that identifies the 4WD Roads of the area. Hike the Mt. Antero/Baldwin Lake road up the forested slopes. At 1.2 miles, you will go past the junction with Boulder Mountain Road. Continue another 1.5 miles to reach the junction of Baldwin Lake Road with Mt. Antero Road.
Mt. Princeton
Mt. Princeton from the road






Aspen Trees
Aspen
Baldwin Creek
Baldwin Creek
Jeep Trail
Road
Alpine Reservoir
Alpine Reservoir


Mt. Antero Road turns left and crosses Baldwin Creek. Do not cross the creek. Continue up the right branch on Baldwin Lake Road. In some places the road goes through a forest and in other places in goes over talus fields.




Baldwin Lake Road
Baldwin Lake Rd
Baldwin Lake Road
Baldwin Lake Rd


At 11770 ft, the road splits. Right goes 200 ft up to dead end at an old mine. Continue left to go near some of the smaller lakes below Baldwin Lake. You will have good views of some of the high peaks of the area including Cronin Peak, Mt. Antero and Grizzly Mountain. At around 12000 ft, you will see a sign for a hiking trail to Baldwin Lake.
Grizzly Mountain
Grizzly Mountain






Grizzly Mountain
Grizzly Mountain
Mt. Antero
Mt. Antero
Cronin Peak
Cronin Peak
Grizzly Mountain
Grizzly Mountain


As you continue on the road, the southeastern slopes of Mt. Mamma come to view.
Mt. Mamma
Mt. Mamma

The road ends at an abandoned mine at an elevation of 12586 ft on the southeastern slopes of Mt. Mamma.
Abandoned Mine
Abandoned Mine

Follow any path up the boulder covered slopes of Mt. Mamma to reach the summit.




Below Summit
Below Summit
Below Summit
Below Summit


Views from the summit of Mt. Mamma:








Looking North
Mt. Yale/N
Mount Princeton
Mt. Princeton/NE
Mt. Antero
Mt. Antero/E/NE
Baldwin Lake
Baldwin Lake/SE
Mt. Aetna
Mt. Aetna/SW
Mt. Chapman
Mt. Chapman/W/SW
Grizzly Lake
Grizzly Lake/W
Northwest
NW



Red Tape

No fees or permits for day hikes. For other regulations, see the site for San Isabel National Forest.

Weather

See the forecast for the nearby town of Buena Vista.

External Links

Driving Baldwin Lake Jeep Trail.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Sawatch RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 13ersMountains & Rocks
 
Sawatch Range Highest 50Mountains & Rocks