Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.42001°N / 116.81222°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 713 ft / 217 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Red Cathedral and Manly BeaconView from Zabriskie Point (1/18/12)


Zabriskie Point named after Christian B. Zabriskie who was the general manager of the Pacific Coast Borax Company, Is one of the famous viewing areas in Death Valley. As the peak hovers over Golden Canyon Zabriskie Point is home to 360 summit views overlooking other famous summits in the area such as Manly Beacon and Red Cathedral. You can also see distant 11,060 Telescope Peak from this viewing point. For the tourist who just want a quick overlook Zabriskie Point is only a quick 0.2 paved walk from the parking area to the well established overlook. If you choose this way you missing most of the charm of this summit. Please don't go this way unless you have really suffered some sort of injury it is over 110 degrees outside.

The stone wall of Zabriskie PointThe stone wall marking the summit (1/18/12)


A better way to this special summit is the 2.5 mile 950 feet elevation gain one way from the Golden Canyon entrance. The scenic way to Zabriskie Point is a special that passes by a lot of very interesting and amazing landscapes that are often seen in the movies. Going through Golden Canyon also gives you a chance to combine the more scenic Red Cathedral and amazing and exposed Manly Beacon in one trip. It is advisable to due Zabriskie Point this way in late fall through early spring in order to avoid many of the higher temperatures that effect the Death Valley Region. Snow and rain is rare in this part of Death Valley making this a great winter destination. In summer temperatures can soar well over 120 degrees so avoid making this area your summertime destination.

Heading up from Golden CanyonHeading up to Zabriskie Point (1/18/12)

Getting There

VIA GOLDEN CANYON TRAILHEAD:- From the intersection of Route 190 and Badwater Road, take Badwater Road roughly 2 miles south to an obvious parking area on the left hand side that comes complete with facilities to compliment guest. You will clearly see the canyon from the road.

VIA THE ZABRISKIE POINT PULLOFF:-Please don't go this way unless you are in terrible shape or the weather is extremely hot because you will be heavily missing out on one of the charms of the mountain. At the Intersection with Badwater Road near the Furnace Creek resort take Route 190 southeast for about two miles where you will be an obvious turnoff to Zabirskie Point to your right.

Red Tape

A daily or annual park pass is required for all parking areas throughout the park. As of 2012 this pass is $20 for the day which can be bought at the Visitors Center one mile west of the Furnace Creek Resort.

Camping

There is no camping allowed directly on Zabriskie Point. However there is a campground roughly three miles northwest at the Furnace Creek Ranch that runs for $12 a night self-pay. It is frequent enforced by the nearby resort.

External Links

Excellent PDF file describing Zabriskie Point and Golden Canyon

National Park Website on Hiking Trails in the Region

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
SoCalHiker

SoCalHiker - Jan 27, 2012 8:07 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: Washington?

correct now :)

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.