Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.34618°N / 6.39344°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7178 ft / 2188 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

TelenoFrom Corporales

It’s the highest peak of Sierra del Teleno in province of León at West of the main city. It’s also the main peak of Massif Galaico-Leonés and you don’t have any mountain higher around it. At West is Peña Trevinca (2,127m) but is lower and it’s necessary to search at North to find one peak most important because between the North ranges of León and this range is a very long plain (El Páramo) and you can see Teleno from a lot of places.

You have a few of possibilities to climb Teleno but the most popular are from South.

The shortest route use the road between Corporales and Peñalba de Santiago reaching a point in a curve (1,700m) near of collado del Palo before Puerto de los Porillinos (1,892m) but the nicest is from Cabaña de Mascariel (1,450m), a lower point in the same road at 4,5 km from Corporales.

Getting There

Teleno

If you come from Leon the best option is following the directions Astorga-La Bañeza-Castrocontrigo-Truchas. In winter the road between Corporales and Peñalba de Santiago can be closed after a snowfall starting near of the village of Corporales.


See bigger map

Red Tape

In winter is necessary the use of crampons and ice-axe in the morning even in South face but in Spring in a sunny day you don’t need anything, but the walking poles are very useful if the long final ramp has snow.

Camping

It's not very far from León, Ponferrada or Astorga important cities with a lot of hotels.

External Links

wikipedia (Spanish).

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.