Mt Baldy to Ontario Peak Ski Traverse

Mt Baldy to Ontario Peak Ski Traverse

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.28890°N / 117.6458°W
Additional Information Route Type: Backcountry Ski trip
Additional Information Difficulty: Overnight ski trip, 7,793 ft gain, 29 miles
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Get off Freeway 10 at Mountain Avenue in Claremont and drive up the hill toward Mt.Baldy.

Route Description

Leave your car at the Baldy Village parking lot. Ski up (or carry your skis, depending on the snow cover at the village) up the South Ridge of Baldy to the summit and Baldy Notch, 14 miles, 5,500 ft gain, 2,262ft loss. Next morning, ski to Thunder Mountain, Telegraph Peak, Timber Mountain and Ice House Saddle, 4.5 miles, 1,200 ft gain, 1,385 ft loss. From Ice House Saddle ski to Kelly Camp,then to Ontario Peak. From there return to Ice House Saddle and descend to Baldy Village, 10.5 miles, 1,093 ft gain, 4,193 ft loss. The overnight trip is 29 miles long and 7,793ft of gain, not too shaby for a neigborhood skiing trip. This is another great ski tour in the "not so alpine" land of Southern California.

Essential Gear

Back country skis (telemark or AT), tent, sleeping bag, winter clothing, stove and fuel, food, camera (a must!).

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.