Mt Celeste

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.57972°N / 125.41061°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6709 ft / 2045 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mt Celeste is the highest point on Rees Ridge and the 10th highest summit on Vancouver Island. The ridge is located in the centre of the Comox Range east of Buttle Lake and west of Comox Lake. The terrain is characteristic high basalt domes that form much of the Comox Range, suitable for alpine treks and winter/spring ski touring.

Getting There

Reaching Rees Ridge and Mt Celeste can be achieved by either travelling along the Comox Range between Mt Albert Edward and the Comox Glacier or gaining the range from the east off logging roads in the Cruickshank River valley up to Carey Lakes, or from the west off the Buttle Lake Parkway and the Ralph Ridge spur.

Route

The summit of Mt Celeste is an easy hike, the main challenge is trekking into the area as described above. Rees Ridge is a long, uniform feature with gentle slopes leading up to both its high points: Celeste and Iceberg Peak to the south.

Camping

Backcountry camping within Strathcona Park must be more than 1km from a road, in the is case the Buttle Lake Parkway. Otherwise the considerations are as for all backcountry overnights: practice strict leave-no-trace, don't flag or otherwise mark any hiking routes and remember that no fires are permitted in Strathcona Park backcountry at any time of year regardless of the Provincial Fire Ban status.

Guidebooks & Other Links

Local guidebook Island Alpine.
Avalanche Conditions: Island Avalanche Bulletin


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Vancouver Island AlpsMountains & Rocks