Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 49.66418°N / 125.77046°W
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 6621 ft / 2018 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Behinde is the lower, western satellite peak of the Golden Hinde. Viewed from many angles it is over-shadowed by the Golden Hinde yet it is an impressive peak in its own right, it's the 14th highest summit on Vancouver Island, just over the 2,000m mark and has some allure because of the infrequency with which it is climbed. 

Getting There

The Behinde is almost perfectly in the centre of the long trek between the Elk River and Myra Falls (the Golden Hinde Traverse a.k.a. Elk River to Westmin). There's no real advantage to approaching from one side or the other but the southern approach from Myra Falls via Phillips Ridge is undoubtedly the more popular.

Standard Route

The standard and really only route up The Behinde is up the Southeast Ridge. It is a steep and exposed 4th class scramble with significant loose rock.

Camping

Backcountry camping within Strathcona Park must be more than 1km from a road. Otherwise the considerations are as for all backcountry overnights: practice strict leave-no-trace, don't flag or otherwise mark any hiking routes and remember that no fires are permitted in Strathcona Park backcountry at any time of year regardless of the Provincial Fire Ban status.

Guidebooks & Other Links

Local guidebook Island Alpine Select.
Avalanche Conditions: Island Avalanche Bulletin



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Vancouver Island AlpsMountains & Rocks