Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.18690°N / 71.6114°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 4, 2001
Mt. Lafayette from the summit...View of Mt. Lafayette from Mt. Garfield
This is what a hike is meant to be. I have never been on an easier trail in my entire life. If it wasn’t 10 miles then it would be the perfect trip to take the children. I have never seen such beautiful fall foliage in my life either. The trees sparkled in yellow, green, and red and the air was as blue as can be. This is the reason for living in New England. In a whirlwind of life issues, one thing remains to stay peaceful, nature.
October 4th, 2001

This hike was a winner from the get go. Terrific views of the fall foliage ruled the gentle hike up the mountain. Then after only one small slightly difficult area at the top came a 360 degree view that almost rivals the legendary Mt. Lafayette. The view consisted of a great view of the rugged Pemigewasset Wilderness to the south, Mt. Lafayette and Lincoln to the west, and Mt. Bond, North and South Twin Mtn. to the east. The ultimate cool thing about this experience was for at thirty minutes I had this mountain to myself.

This hike in White Mountain terms was pretty long but the relative ease of this trail was a breeze. I hiked this mountain and enjoyed the view in just over 6 hours (1 hour on the view). Few trails in the White Mountains come this well planned, and taken care of. When up on top I met to guys from Holland who though many of the Alps were much easier to hike than the White Mountain due to the care of the trail. According to them, you have to spend more time looking down at your feet then enjoying the trees. They took the rough Garfield Ridge Trail from South Twin Mtn. Can’t blame them on their opinion because that is known for being one of the toughest sections of trail on the AT. But this trail was different and I would advise anyone to take this trail as his or her first hike in the White Mountains.

Comments

Post a Comment
Viewing: 1-2 of 2
Global_09

Global_09 - Mar 31, 2006 8:53 pm - Voted 10/10

Nice trip report

Nice trip report

EastKing

EastKing - Apr 4, 2006 11:20 am - Hasn't voted

Thank you!

This report was written when I lived up in the White Mountains, had long hair, struggled working two jobs out of my career and one of my few joins were climbing and Summitpost. Funny things is that the long hair and the White Mountains have changed, but the two jobs, climbing and Summitpost haven't. Thanks again for the kind words.

-EK

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Mount GarfieldTrip Reports