Mt. Mansfield In The Fall

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 44.54400°N / 72.815°W
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: Oct 3, 2007
Activities Activities: Hiking

Much Steeper Than I Expected

We arrived in Stowe Vermont on Tuesday night. I stayed at a little B&B located just a few miles from Mt. Mansfield. On Wednesday, my friend and I did an afternoon hike to Mt. Mansfield summit starting at the Long Trail trailhead located off of Hwy 108. It was unseasonably warm (about 75 F) and sunny. We signed in at the guest log and headed up. And I mean UP. This trail was steep from beginning to summit. I was pretty surprised. I kept thinking that it would get into some switchbacks but that didn’t happen. I’m not sure what type of rock this is, but the trail is mainly on slick black chunks of large rock.

Mt. Mansfield Long Trail


It was wet most of the way up even though it hadn’t rained. We stopped several times along the way for photos and to get a breath. Nothing really too difficult until we got to the chin. The last half mile was more of a scramble in some places and a climb in one area.

Mt. Mansfield


Once on the summit, we were treated to amazing views in ALL directions.
We didn’t spend too much time up there, due to the wind. It was kicking up pretty strongly so we headed back down. My legs were pretty tired from the climb up so going down seemed to take forever. I slipped in 3 places on that smooth faced, black rock. We finally made it down just before sunset. This was my 2nd Highpoint and it was a good one. I felt like I accomplished something spectacular that day!

Comments

No comments posted yet.