Mt. Wrather Standard

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 58.41819°N / 134.59003°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: One to two days
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 4
Sign the Climber's Log

 

Overview

Route Overview
Route Overview

Update 11/13/18 - Changed glacier crossing because previous route melted away.

Mt. Weather is a 20.7 mile round trip climb to a technically challenging peak almost 6,000' tall that stands center stage in the Mendenhall Glacier.The Standard Route starts on the West Glacier trail, crosses the Mendenhall Glacier, and climbs the prominent ridge on climbers Right. This route requires glacier travel experience and knowledge of crevasse rescue. There are no trails to follow after deviating off from the West Glacier Trail so route finding is crucial. 

Summit View looking towards the Valley
Summit View looking towards the Valley

 

Getting There

To access the standard route up to Wrather, you must first find the West Glacier Trail. From Downtown Juneau, take Egan Drive North. Make a right on Mendenhall Loop Road. After 2.2 miles turn left to stay on Mendenhall Loop Road. Turn right on Montana Creek Way. Continue on Montana Creek Road past Skaters Cabin. The road will dead end at the West Glacier Trail trailhead.

Rest spot nearly to the base
Rest spot nearly to the base

Route Description

The Mt. Wrather Standard Route is done by taking the West Glacier Trail. From the parking lot, take the West Glacier Trail for 3.2 miles until it reaches a rocky outcropping. This is past both the spurs to the location of the old ice caves.  From that point follow a faint user trail downhill and generally to the North-East and down to the glacier. From here, you are immediately greeted with some large crevasses. Follow the ridges of ice until a large flat area. Head almost due North up a ramp in the center of the galcier, then turn and cross the glacier to the far side. Hug the glaciers edge up over some scrambling bits and steep snow and ice. you will bounce between the ice and rock a few times before reaching suicide basin.

Crossing the lower Mendenhall
Crossing the lower Mendenhall

The entrance and exit from the basin are extremely broken and patient route finding must be taken.

Suicide Basin broken ice
Suicide Basin broken ice

After crossing Suicide Basin, you are now walking next to the base of Mt. Wrather. Continue along the base of the mountain on the glacier until the steep rocks on climbers right become passable. Head up staying to climbers right of the prominent rock chunk sticking out (glacier Grub Tower). The incline is steep, but free of objective hazards here.

Climbers Right of Glacier Grub
Climbers Right of Glacier Grub

Once the top of the incline is reached, stay right of the main glacier and generally follow the prominent ridge all the way to the summit. 

Mt. Wrather Main Glacier
Mt. Wrather Main Glacier
Summit view with the Towers in the background
Summit view with the Towers in the background

 

See attached .gpx route for a exact description and or check out the Juneau Hikes and Summits CalTopo page.

Essential Gear

Crampons and ice axe are crucial. Other climbing gear can be brought for crevasse rescue such as, rappel device, ice screws, and a few carabiners. In addition dress appropriately. Mountaineering boots or stiff  waterproof boots are necessary and gators help keep your socks dry. Having a SPOT or InReach is a great idea. Bring extra dry/warm stuff.

 

 

External Links

Tongass National Forest

 



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.