Normal Route Cab. du Velan

Normal Route Cab. du Velan

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.88990°N / 7.25110°E
Additional Information Route Type: Path to the cabane, glacier the day after.
Additional Information Time Required: A long day
Additional Information Difficulty: Normal route; glacier, crevasses, seracs; ski mountaneering: medium level
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


By car: along the road Aosta-Martigny, in Switzerland, quite close to the beginning of the Gran San Bernardo tunnel, in Bourg Saint Pierre, right side if you come from Italy, starts the small road that brings to a parking area, in Cordonna. Leave here the car..

By train: train Martigny-Orsières, after post car till Bourg Saint Pierre (BSP); in the morning there is a train directly from Martigny to BSP.
From BSP, hike the Valsorey valley, departure close to the Hotel Vieux Moulin, at the end of BSP direction Italy. Farm road till Cordonna, after, path.

After Cordonna, follow the sign; when you arrive to Chatel d'Amont, cross the river and hike the moraine till the cabane, that you start seeing along the way.
From BSP, 3-4 hours.

CABANE DU VELAN:
62 places
Raymond Gay
Plan-Cerisier
1921 MARTIGNY-CROIX
+41 (0)79 277 93 52
Cabane : +41 (0) 27 787 13 13 e-mail : raymond@velan.ch

Route Description


From the cabane, come down into the glacier; the route is a normal glacier, very steep at the end, close to the summit; take care to the crevasses!!!

Level: 1066 m.
Time: 4/5 hours from the cabane

Essential Gear


Normal high mountain equipment: robe, axe, crampons

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.