North Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.13776°N / 105.72028°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This route ascends the north ridge of Mount irving Hale from the saddle between Hiamovi Mountain and Mount Irving Hale. This route has great views
Crawford Lake
, and it is the easiest route up Mount Irving Hale. This route up Irving Hale is 11 miles roundtrip, and it has around 3500 feet of elevation gain.

Getting There

To reach the trailhead, head about five miles north from Granby, and turn right onto county road 6. Stay on the road for just over nine miles to the Big Rock Campground. You will stay on the road to the end of Arapahoe Bay. Stay left at the road intersection and continue for 0.8 miles to the Roaring Fork Trailhead.

Route Description

Start the trail, and you are immediately presented with a climb in the trail. Climb up the steep trail for 600 vertical feet past Roaring Falls until the trail levels out. At 9,000 feet the trail levels out and follow the trail as it follows the creek up through the valley. After around 3.5 miles into the trail, at around 9800 feet, come to an intersection with the Watanga Lake Trail. Stay right on the Roaring Fork Trail, and then follow the trail for another mile up the steep slope to the 11,200 foot pass between Hiamovi Mountain and Mount Irving Hale. From the saddle, turn south and follow the slope south through tree line. The slope turns to talus, and follow the rocks all the way to the summit. The views now open up to the south, as the Lone Eagle Cirque is now profoundly visible to the south.
Lone Eagle Cirque
The views from the summit are amazing, and it is entirely worth it to hike to this summit, as the summit has some of the best views in the area. To the north is Hiamovi Mountain, Watanga Mountain, and the peaks in RMNP. To the east are Cooper Peak, Marten Peak, and several peaks on the Continental Divide. To the south is Lone Eagle Cirque, and to the west is Lake Granby.

Essential Gear

Lots of water, hiking boots, hiking poles if you want them, and definitely a camera.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.