Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.13776°N / 105.72028°W
Additional Information County: Grand County
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11754 ft / 3583 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting There

From US 40 near Granby drive 5 miles North on US 34. Turn East towards Arapaho Bay and continue on for 9.4 miles along the South side of Lake Granby to Big Rock Campground. The paved road quickly turns into a well groomed dirt road. On the West end of Lake Granby turn left and drive .08 miles to the trailhead located on the north side of the road.

North Ridge Route

From the Roaring Fork Trailhead hike approximately 3.5 miles to the Watanga and Roaring Fork Junction at 9,900'. Continue West along the Roaring Fork Trail for a steep mile to mile and a half to the saddle between Hiamovi Mountain and Mount Irving Hale. You will know you are here when you are in a wide open area at treeline (11,200) and you are relieved from the steep switchbacks that you previously hiked. From the saddle leave the trail and hike south up the slopes to the rocky summit. The summit is rated Class 2 but there are options for some 3rd class scrambling.

Red Tape

$5 per day admission fee payable at the kiosk entrance to Arapaho Bay. A 3 day pass can be purchased for $10.

Camping

Permits are required for all overnight camping in the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area from June 1 through September 15. For more information contact:
Sulphur Ranger District,
USDA Forest Service
9 Ten Mile Drive
P.O. Box 10
Granby, CO 80446
(970)887-4100 (V/TDD) (970)887-4101
Mon - Fri 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Sat 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

More info here: Indian Peaks General Information


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.