Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.17030°N / 106.0909°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11674 ft / 3558 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Weston, Ptarmigan & HorseshoeWeston, Ptarmigan & Horseshoe


Sheep Ridge sits tucked between lower neighbor Round Hill to its south and higher neighbor Sheep Mountain to its north. This peak is characterized by a long summit ridge trending north-northwest to south-southwest. It is entirely encircled by 4x4 roads resulting in a wide variety of approaches and route options. While Sheep Ridge is itself mellow and rounded and its highpoint indistinct, the views all around, especially to the west, make a journey to this peaceful little summit quite rewarding.


Colorado Rank: 1,468th highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 304 feet
Mountain Range: Tenmile/Mosquito
USGS Quad: Fairplay West
Trails Illustrated Map: #110 (Leadville, Fairplay)

Rank and Prominence Reference: Lists of John

Getting There

Sheep Ridge sits about 7 miles as the raven flies southwest of Fairplay, Colorado on the far western fringes of South Park. It is about 8 miles southeast of the Fourteener Mount Sherman. Primary access is from the east via Hwy 285.
Getting There_Sheep RidgeClick on image to enlarge

Red Tape

Ptarmigan Peak to the west of Sheep RidgePtarmigan Peak to the west of Sheep Ridge
There is little red tape governing recreational use in this part of the National Forest and there is no fee to access this area. Adhere to LNT (Leave No Trace) principals, observe fire ban when in effect and do not harass wildlife or allow your pet to do so.

Camping & Lodging

Ptarmigan Peak from Sheep RidgePtarmigan Peak from Sheep Ridge
Horseshoe Mountain from Sheep RidgeHorseshoe Mountain from Sheep Ridge


Immediate Area
There is some rustic, first-come, first-served camping on the 4x4 roads surrounding Sheep Ridge. Be prepared to haul plenty of water for your party as water sources near this peak are scarce.

Rustic 4x4 Camping
Those with a stout 4x4 and solid off-roading skills may find plentiful rustic camping along Sheep Creek in Sheep Park, west of Breakneck Pass, accessed via FR 175.

Designated National Forest Service Sites

North-northwest of Sheep Ridge the Forest Service operates two campgrounds along Fourmile Road (County Road 18): Fourmile and Horseshoe. Be aware that both sites may be busy in the summer months due to their proximity to the Fourteener Mount Sherman.

Fourmile Campground:
  • 14 sites

  • No reservations (first come, first served)

  • $12.00 per night

  • Elevation: 10,762 ft.


Horseshoe Campground:
  • 19 sites

  • Reservations accepted in summer

  • $12.00 per night

  • Elevation: 10,560 ft.


Southwest of Sheep Ridge is Weston Pass campground which, despite the name, actually sits about 4 miles southeast of Weston Pass.

Weston Pass Campground:
  • 14 sites

  • No reservations (first come, first served)

  • $12.00 per night

  • Elevation: 10,200 ft.


Fairplay
A small collection of hotels and bed & breakfasts can be found in the nearby town of Fairplay.

Weather & Seasons

Mosquito Range ThirteenersMosquito Range Thirteeners
Sheep Mountain from Sheep RidgeSheep Mountain from Sheep Ridge


Summer: The variety of 4x4 roads circling this peak make it a semi-popular area for off-road enthusiasts. In the summer, expect plenty of dust and a fairly thick motorized crowd. There is, however, plenty of shade from the sun on this mountain.

Spring: The snowpack is less deep here than in the high country and melts out faster than higher areas to the west. None-the-less, expect post-holing through unconsolidated snow drifts in the trees.

Fall: Autumn is a nice time to visit this little peak. With luck, the area Aspen will be bearing their brightest gold while the high country to the west has a dusting of fresh fall snow. The forested slopes provide plenty of wind blockage from cold fall breezes.

Winter: The bulk of this mountain sits below timberline and the slopes are gentle, meaning low avalanche danger during snow season. However, unplowed, rugged forest service roads will make for a longer day on-foot with snow on the ground.

Zone Forecast for Fairplay, CO

External Links

Pike & San Isabel National Forests
South Park Ranger District campground Information
Pike National Forest Recreation

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.