North Route

Overview

Malachite Peak from 5850' saddle
Malachite Peak from 5850' saddle - true summit in center of photo

In all likelihood, this is the simplest and easiest way up Malachite Peak (although I have never tried the South Route), and seems to get the bulk of the traffic heading for the summit. It has the advantage of starting out at a relatively high elevation (tempered by several small ups-and-downs), and a well-defined trail leading to the high country north of the peak. It is also very scenic, passing within spitting distance of six alpine lakes (ok, two of them are tarns).

Getting There

Navigate to the Evans Lake 'trailhead' - directions stolen from the USFS: From Monroe, Washington take US Highway 2 east for about 34 miles to mile marker 50.5, just east of the Skykomish Ranger Station. Turn south onto Foss River Road (Forest Service Road #68). Continue on Forest Service Road #68, staying to the right at the junction with #6835. Drive about 3.5 miles beyond that junction. Turn left onto Forest Service Road #6846, continue 2 miles to the Evans Lake trailhead on the right side of the road. Continue a short distance past the Evans Lake trailhead until the road comes to a very obvious end - park here. Now walk about 100' back toward Evans Lake, where you will find the start of the 'Rock Lake Trail' (unofficial) on the west side of the road. 

Evans Lake from Rock Lake trail - Malachite Peak north route
Evans Lake from Rock Lake trail - Malachite Peak north route - Mt. Fernow in distance

Route Description

Malachite Peak north route map
Malachite Peak north route map

The 'Rock Lake Trail' will start out brushy for about the first 200', but will very quickly enter open timber and become very well-defined, following the hogsback just south of Evans Lake. The first point of significance is a tarn at 4700', which the trail will route around counterclockwise.

Tarn at 4700' on Rock Lake Trail - Malachite Peak north route
Tarn at 4700' on Rock Lake Trail - Malachite Peak north route

From this point, the trail will climb very steeply to the top of a 5300' ridge west of the tarn. If you have some extra time, Pt. 5389 is nearby, and makes for a quick class 3 scramble with unrestricted views.

Pt 5389 pano on way up Malachite Peak north route
Pt 5389 pano on way up Malachite Peak north route

After a short cruise south down the ridge, the trail will make an abrupt 600' drop down to Rock Lake. One has the choice of going all the way to the lake, or breaking off into the talus slopes 100'-200' above the lake.

Rock Lake on Malachite Peak north route
Rock Lake on Malachite Peak north route

From the talus slopes on the west side of Rock Lake, head generally south toward an outlet stream that drains a tarn at 5245.

Tarn 5245 on Malachite Peak north route
Tarn 5245 on Malachite Peak north route

Hike to the southeast side of the tarn, which will involve going up and over a small rocky outcropping. From here, travel E/SE to a 5600'+ saddle that lies just northwest of Panorama Lake.

Looking back at Tarn 5245 from 5600' saddle above Panorama Lake - Malachite Peak north route
Looking back at Tarn 5245 from 5600' saddle above Panorama Lake - Malachite Peak north route

Panorama Lake on Malachite Peak north route
Panorama Lake on Malachite Peak north route

Now travel S/SW toward a 5850' saddle that lies just south of Pt. 6208 - a faint trail will start you out in the right direction. You should not have to drop more than 100' in the process.

Panorama Lake from 5850' saddle
Panorama Lake from 5850' saddle

From here, you should be able to study Malachite Peak's summit block (the pointy one in the middle). Your objective will be the first minor saddle west of the summit (marked with an 'X' in the photo below).

Malachite Peak from 5850' saddle above Panorama Lake
Malachite Peak from 5850' saddle above Panorama Lake

Getting to the 'X' will involve a little class 2/3 scrambling, and unfortunately, another 100' elevation drop. From the 'X', one has the choice of breaking left for 50' of class 4 on the north side of the summit block (we were discouraged by some wet moss), or breaking right to a fairly clean gully on the west side (again, about 50' of class 4).

Class 4 gully on Malachite Peak summit block
Class 4 gully on Malachite Peak summit block

We did not feel the need to belay on the way up, but we did make use of 100' of 6mm rope for the descent.

Malachite Peak class 4 gully on west side of summit block
Malachite Peak class 4 gully on west side of summit block

Clouds hindered our views a bit, but it was still a very enjoyable and worthwhile trip.

Malachite Peak summit
Malachite Peak summit - Purvis Lake on left

Malachite Peak partial pano
Malachite Peak partial pano

Copper Lake from Malachite Peak
Copper Lake from Malachite Peak - Delta Lake and Little Heart Lake partially visible

Looking north at Pt 6208 from Malachite Peak
Looking north at Pt 6208 from Malachite Peak - 5850' saddle on right

Essential Gear

I would highly recommend 100' of thin rope for handline or rappel on descent.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.