South Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 47.62329°N / 121.3385°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

A fun scramble involving a lot of steep forest walking and a short, exposed climb of the summit block. Great views of the North Cascades, three volcanoes, and the outstanding alpine lake terrain toward the craggy crest peaks a short distance to the Southeast.

Getting There

Follow the directions on the main page to the West Fork Foss River trailhead.

Route Description

From there hike the West Fork Foss River trail for some 3.5 miles past Trout Lake to where the trail crosses the outlet of Lake Malachite. Leave the trail here and ascend north-northwest to a hanging bench below the south side of the summit. Pick the easiest way through the alder and talus almost due North to a higher boulder field. Ascend the talus slope NW around the south side of the prominent summit block until class 2-3 scrambling allows access to the ridge trending west from the summit. From here another 150 vertical feet or so of exposed class 3-4 scrambling leads to the summit.

Getting to the summit block from Lake Malachite seems to be easiest when snow covers much of the brush.

Essential Gear

Ice axe. Scrambling is steep, a rope may be desirable for ascending or descending the summit pinnacle.

External Links

S-N traverse of the peak in March, 2005 can be found on this site by looking around here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.