Northwest Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.34500°N / 117.8399°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Northwest Ridge Route

The Northwest Ridge route is a great snow climb up Mount Islip. Access depends on yearly snowfall amounts and the SR-2 being open. I went in May 2005 and was lucky. That day we found deep snow 6-9 feet deep all the way to the covered summit. As a non-snow route I have not personally hiked it, but I think it might be a bit brushy at some points. At some point I would like to do this as a dry hike and update this. If anyone has down this as a dry route please inform me.

Getting There

Take the Angeles Crest Highway SR-2, drive 40 miles on Angeles Crest Highway to Islip Saddle just a little bit past the tunnels. Park here.

Route Description

Hike up the beginning of the PCT trail for the first few swithbacks until it gains the ridge slope. Take this ridge slope and go straight up following the ridgeline all the way to the summit. The ridgeline at times crosses steep slopes to the west so take care.

Round trip 2.75 miles, elevation gain 1600 feet.

Essential Gear

For snow route you will need a ice axe, snow boots, crampons, and warm snow clothing.

External Links

Mount Islip is on the Hundred Peaks List

For current road conditions go to Angeles National Forest.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.