Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 51.30078°N / 116.19613°W
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9700 ft / 2957 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Peak 3 1/2 is located on the continental divide between Mt. Bowlen and Mount Tonsa in the valley of the ten peaks.

Routes

Routes: Click for the route

Perren Route To Neil Colgan Hut (Standard) Rates for the hut are: $18 per night for members, the hut sleeps up to 24. Children under 16 spend night at half price.

3-3 1/2 Couloir: This is the old route up to the Graham Cooper hut which was replaced by the Niel Colgan hut in 1983. (The Niel Colgan hut is on the col between Mt. Little and Mt. Bowlen). This route is no longer recommended after several deaths and injuries including Graham Cooper who died after his team built the hut which was later named after him. The couloir starts at the far side of Moraine Lake and ascends the large couloir visible from anywhere around Moraine Lake. The couloir starts out about 33 degrees at 2100 meters. By 2500 meters the couloir is 44 degrees, and by 2700 meters it is over 50 degrees. It is only recommended under ideal conditions.

Getting There

North Approach: From the Lake Louise Visitor Center take Lake Louise Drive a little less than 2 miles or 6 kilometers until you reach the intersection with Moraine Lake Road. Turn left on Moraine Lake Road. Follow the Road until its end at Moraine Lake which is about 11 kilometers from the intersection with Lake Louise Drive.

Red Tape

Overnight permits can be obtained at the visitor center at the Lake Louise Village.
You will need to buy a parks pass as Mount Tonsa is in a National Park.

Rates for Parks Canada as of July 1, 2005:
Wilderness Backcountry: $9/night
Wilderness Pass: $63/year
Reservation Fee: $12/group

Park Entry:
$16/group/day
$109/year

-William Marler

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.