Peak 7760 Attempt - 6.19.2015

Peak 7760 Attempt - 6.19.2015

Page Type Page Type: Album

These images are from an attempt to day hike Peak 7760 from Saint Mary on June 19th, 2015. Peak 7760, sometimes referred to as "Split Point" has about 360 feet of prominence and is located just north of Split Mountain on the east side of Glacier National Park. I was turned back about 100 feet from the summit by class five cliffs, high winds and poor rock quality. The whole effort took about 16 hours. 


Ridge
Peak 7760 rising above Red Eagle Lake. My route followed the long ridge in the center of the image. Reaching the the base of the ridge required about 10 miles of trail hiking followed by about 2 miles of bushwhacking along Red Eagle Creek.

East Face of Peak 8990
East Face of Peak 8990 towering above Red Eagle Creek. This is about 1 mile beyond where I left the Red Eagle Trail. Prior to World War II there was a maintained trail through this part of the valley that went all the way over Red Eagle Pass. Elk still use the trail and have maintained it quite well through the years.


Towards Almost-a-Dog Pass
Spectacular views towards Almost-a-Dog Pass from high on the ridge.

Summit & StimsonThe east face of the summit block. Just out of view below and to the left are 1000 foot vertical cliffs. I did not attempt the summit block. It's worth mentioning that there appears to be a large cairn on the summit.

Scenery
Spectacular, unnamed lake down below.

North Face of Split Mountain
North face of Split Mountain.



Comments

No comments posted yet.