Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 35.01975°N / 32.33368°E
Additional Information Elevation: 1375 ft / 419 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Pissouromoutti Pissouromoutti as seen from Smigies

Pissouromoutti (Πισσούρομουττι in Greek) is one of the table-top mountain of the Akamas Peninsula in the north-west of Cyprus. Like its neighbours it is a rather small mountain but with only 419m, it still is one of the highest mountains in this part of the island. Located close to the centre of the peninsula it thus is a wonderful lookout peak with coasts on three sides of it and the Troodos Range far in the distance on the fourth.
Pissouromoutti
Pissouromoutti
Pissouromoutti

The whole Akamas Peninsula is made up from limestone rock and thanks to its age and exposure to wind and weather much of it has eroded away already. What remains are low coastal plains with occasional canyons and flat topped mountains in between. Pissouromoutti, like its neighbours has a table-top summit with the size of half a football field. The summit plateau tilts to the east, from which the normal route leads to the top. On the three other sites the summit is surrounded by low but vertical walls, which offer a more amusing routes to the top. The walls have faces up to 50m high through which gullies and couloirs cut through to the top. The western face, for example, offers several scrambles up to UIAA II.
Pissouromoutti
Pissouromoutti
Pissouromoutti

Pissouromoutti is located to the south of Smigies, the largest and tallest of the table-top mountains, right across a saddle, in which a large picnic area has been built. Using this as a trailhead you can reach the top of Pissouromoutti in little more than half an hour. However, much more interesting is the hike from Loutro Aphroditi (Baths of Aphrodite) from where you can hike a loop, including the summits of Moutti tis Sotiras, Smigies and Pissouromoutti. The loop follows some of the most popular nature trails, which the ministry of forestry of Cyprus has established in the area: The Aphrodite, Adonis and Smigies trails. Only the final ascent to Pissouromoutti follows a largely unmarked but easily visible path.

360° Summit Panorama

360° summit panorama seen from Pissouromoutti on the Akamas Peninsula

Getting There

Chrysochou  BayPolis and Chrysochou Bay

You can reach the Greek (southern) part of Cyprus from any major airport in Europe. The island has two international airports at Larnaka in the east and Pafos in the south-west. Both airports are connected by a motorway.

  • From Pafos take highway B7 in direction of Polis.
  • In Polis drive westward along the coastal road through Latsi
  • At an intersection after Latsi follow the signs to Neo Chorio
  • In the village at the bar Smigies turn onto a dirt track to the Smigies Picnic Site

Red Tape

Papillo machaonPapillo machaon, the common Swallowtail

There's no red tape here. There is only one restriction: the roads on the Akamas Peninsula may only be used by authorized persons.

Accommodation

Accommodation of all kinds is easy to find along the coasts of the island. You can book hotels and apartments from any travel office. Moreover, a lot of British expatriates are living on the island part time. You can get lucky to book one of their winter homes in summer.

There is a campground at the Baths of Aphrodite and another one between Polis and Latsi. The whole coast between Polis and the Baths of Aphrodite is one big holiday settlement mainly targeting British visitors. Still you'll be able to find any nationality there.

Weather Conditions



Maps & Books

Maps


I must admit that I didn't find any decent maps of the island, maybe caused by the military nervousness mentioned above. I have used the following street map:
    Cyprus / Chipre / Zypern
    1:200 000
    Freytag & Berndt
    ISBN: 978-3-7079-0478-9

Books


Here the situation is different. An excellent guidebook is available from Rother Verlag, both in German and English. It covers the whole island in 50 daytours.
  • Zypern (Süd & Nord) / Cyprus (South & North)
    Rolf Goetz
    Rother Wanderführer / Rother Walking Guide
    Rother Verlag
    ISBN (German): 978-3-7633-4271-6
    ISBN (English): 978-3-7633-4814-5


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

CyprusMountains & Rocks