Plug And Chug

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.72970°N / 72.0314°W
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climb
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: WI5 III
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Park along Rte. 5 at the northern end of the Pisgah cliffs below the Mindbender Amphitheater. Walk directly up the scree slope in the woods below the Mindbender amphitheater. Plug and chug is the big flow on the left. Mindbender III WI5+ takes the big line in the center, Call of the wild goes out overhanging ice on the left at WI6 and Renormalization climbs the big right hand flow at WI4/4+.

Route Description


Pitch 1 : climb 80' of easy WI2+ ice up to the base of the P&C column. Attack this column directly using mushrooms for rests. 100' of vertical ice gets you to the top of the column and a belay niche. 180' WI5
Pitch 2: Climb up a short section of vertical to sometimes overhanging ice for 40' to easier WI4 ice and the trees. 160' WI5-

Descend via tree rappel and thread rappel from the belay niche on P1 or walk right to the top of Renormalization and rappel one 200' rappel and downclimb easy ice to the base.

Essential Gear


Willoughby full column rack (9-11) screws. Vthread tools and webbing. A 50 meter rope will make this climb two pitches with a little stretch on the first pitch.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.