South Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.72970°N / 72.0314°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


See the "Getting There" section of the Main Page for directions to the South Trail. Parking is located on both sides of 5A.

Route Description


The trail is 3.4 miles round-trip and gains 1590 feet to reach the summit.

The trailhead is reached on the east side of Rte 5A at the southern end of the parking lot. The trail is clearly marked and blazed with Blue Markings.

As you begin your hike you quickly come to a swamp, with views of the Mts' cliffs. Follow the trail left crossing a wooden bridge, walking over the swamp.

For the first .5 mile the trail heads northeast with a gradual climb. At about .5 miles the trail turns to the north (left) and begins a more gradual climb. In about another .5 mile look a look-out known as Pulpit Rock will provide views of Mts Hor and Bartlett, along with Lake Willoughby. Be sure to take caution here as it is 650' down to the lake.

After returning to the trail it is again a staedy cimb north to the summit. Although not clearly marked the highest point is obtained after about 200 yards beyond walking over some exposed granite.

To return to your car turn and head down teh same trail.

Essential Gear


Standard gear ofr seasonal hiking recommended.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.