Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.496°S / 71.722°W
Additional Information Elevation: 7752 ft / 2363 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Quetrupillán, also known as Volcán Quetrupillán is a volcano in the Lake District of northern Patagonia on the Chile side. It is not as famous as it’s higher neighbors, namely Lanín and Villarica, but it is said by local climbers to have the best views in the area because of its central location among the Pucón area volcanoes.   The area around Pucón and Quetrupillán is quite scenic with many symmetrical volcanoes, forests, and lakes. The volcano has glaciers on the east and south sides but is considered to an easy ascent.  It is not as symmetrical as its higher neighbors. 

The last of eruption of Quetrupillán was in 1872, but it has great views of the currently very active Villarica.  Expect to see at least a few minor eruptions of the nearby Villarica from your ascent. 

Summit of Quetrupillan
Summit of Quetrupillan

Getting There

The trailhead is located up the road from Termas Palguin, about 45 minutes from Pucón.

Since everyone uses Google Maps now days, here are directions to Termas Palguin:

Directions to Termas Palguin

About 2 miles/3kms past Termas Palguin, turn left to Paraiso Escondido. There is a signpost for Parque Nacional Villarrica sector Querupuillan pointing to the right that takes you to the start of the official longer route.  You can drive farther on a gravel road if you pay a small fee to park on private land.   To get to the trailhead you can either go with a guide, rent a car, or take an occasional weekend bus from Pucón to reach the area around the trailhead. 

Enjoying the summit of Quetrupillan with Villarrica in the background
Enjoying the summit of Quetrupillan with Villarrica in the background

Routes Overview

Standard Route

From the end of the road near Paraiso Escondido, a 16 km/10 miles round trip trail heads up the northwest slopes of the volcano to the summit.  On our climb in November most of the trail was covered in snow so I can't comment as to its condition, but it's said to be a good trail to treeline (5250 feet/1600 meters).   The route is steeper after this, but not diffcult.  Elevation gain is approximately 4400 feet/1340 meters and the climb generally takes a full day for most.  In late summer you might be able to get away without an ice axe(?), but this is recommended gear year round.  

Along the standard route
Along the standard route



Other Routes

Early season at least, you should be able to climb Quetrupillán from any direction as it's not a a rugged mountain. 

Red Tape

Unlike its neighbors Lanín and Villarica, Quetrupillán seems to have little red tape other than the standard rules for national parks in Chile which include no pets, drones, smoking, fire, and the consumption of alcohol or any illicit substance within Villarica National Park.  There is a small fee to enter the National Park. See below for the park website:

Villarrica National Park

There isn't much Red Tape here. Enjoy the climb.
There isn't much Red Tape here. Enjoy the climb.

 

When to Climb

Late November to late March or early April is the normal season to climb the mountain, but the peak can be climbed year round.  November through April are much drier than May through October, with May though August being very wet.  This is a wet area, so go prepared for possible wet weather at any time of year.

Climbing Quetrupillan in late November
Climbing Quetrupillan in late November

Camping

There is a campsite at the trailhead (fee with toilets).  There are numerous lodging locations in Pucón and some closer to the trailhead.  

Mountain Conditions

Click Here For Weather Forecast

Precipitation statistics for Pucón are below which will give you an idea of the precipitation patterns for the area, but the mountains themselves will be much wetter than Pucón.

Average Rainfall Pucon
Average Rainfall Pucon