Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 53.17900°N / 117.968°W
Additional Information County: Canada
Activities Activities: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Summer
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rec Beach

REC BEACH Rec Beach was the name given to this steep, "naked" wall of rock that can be seen from the highway, east of the Hidden Valley trailhead, just past the rock cut, looking up. It faces south-west. Although Rec Beach is really considered a part of the Hidden Valley climbing area, its not accessed by the main trail. Some parties would head down from the Spiderman Slabs, and finish their day of climbing at Rec Beach, continuing down to the highway directly, afterwards. There is, however, no obvious trail to follow from the slabs. Rec Beach is actually the most accessible crag of Hidden Valley when approached from the highway, and although its a steep trail, it takes only about ten minutes.  There are just a few climbs here but they are good quality on an incredible wall of rock.

Getting There

Drive Hwy 16 east from Jasper towards Hinton for 36km.  Park at the Hidden Valley parking lot, east of Jasper.  Walk east along the highway and, a short ways after the rock cut ends, head up and left on the most obvious goat trail. Basically follow the path of least resistance, making the odd switchback but generally angling towards the gully below the wall. The going is steep but the footing is good and should take about ten minutes.

Red Tape

Add Red Tape text here.

Camping

Add Camping text here.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

The Routes

Keep in mind that because the base of the crag is at an incline, anything that you displace, i.e. rocks, could potentially take out anyone below you. The following climbs are listed from left to right, or as you encounter them when approaching from the bottom. You Used To Be A Rocker 5.10a/b, 11 bolts, 27 m Katherine Frazier, Maureen Allard, Shawn Van Asten, Sean Elliott 1997? A nice, long, warmup route that climbs the apron. Not Sure What Its Called 5.11a, 6 bolts, 15 m Meghanne Reburn, Paul Valiulis, and Sean Elliott 2005 Starts eight meters right of Rocker beside a large tree. Great moves. Second Guess 5.11a, 12 bolts, 27 m Shawn Van Asten and Sean Elliott, 1997? Climbs the blunt arete five meters right of Not Sure. Sharp rock low down, very well protected. The Coka-Cola King 5.11d, 10 bolts, 25m Paul Valiulis and Sean Elliott 2005 An awesome line that weaves its way through some really blank rock. A technical, sustained climb. There is a bolt protecting a direct finish, open project. Our friend, the late Paul Valiulis, had a real penchant for the soft drink and would often bring it in place of water. Paul made short work of this climb. Limestone Lover 5.11d, 7 bolts, 20m Sean Elliott 2008 This climb starts a few meters left of Goldrush. This one can be started a couple of ways. Make a rising traverse all the way to the Coka-Cola station. The crux is very sequency and footwork intensive, passing the second bolt. The draws must be cleaned by the second. Tres Cool. Limestone Leper 5.11c/d, 5 bolts, 15m Sean Elliott and Bruno Tassone 2008 At the third bolt of Limestone Lover head up, past two more, to a station. Goldrush 5.11a, 7 bolts, 25m Sheila Steinke and Sean Elliott 1999 About twenty-five meters right of The Coka-Cola King, past some really blank stone and Limestone Lover, is this route that climbs another blunt and broken arete, right of the yellow wall. A couple of thin moves passing the second bolt. There is a makeshift belay platform at the base. The wall above is almost vertical and mostly blank. There are two sets of anchors that can be seen, these are open projects and both have some climbable features, why not try them out?



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Jasper/Hinton Rock ClimbsMountains & Rocks