Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 53.16859°N / 117.9564°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Syncline Ridge - Overview
Syncline Ridge - Overview
Syncline Ridge is a 150 metre high limestone climbing area located just west of the Roche Miette formation in the Canadian Rockies about 38 kilometers east of Jasper Alberta.  There are currently four established routes in this area; however, there are more in the process of being put up and there is at least one that was done once, but never became popular due to the lack of protection and poor rock.  There is a huge potential for new multi-pitch routes here – the rock is generally very nice, with the only poor rock being a band low on the formation.  The formation faces predominantly south west, so is one of the first areas to lose snow in the spring, and climbing can start in April on any sunny day. 

Getting There

The Approach

The parking for all climbs on Syncline Ridge is a large pullout area on the south east side of Highway 16.  When travelling from Hinton (Alberta) the parking area is found in the middle of the second 60km/hr zone after you pass the east gate to Jasper National Park – this approximately 40 kilometers from Hinton.  From Jasper, the parking lot is located approximately 38 kilometers east of Jasper, and about 4 kilometers east of where the Highway 16 crosses the Rocky River.  There is an outhouse located at the west end of the parking area.

Syncline Ridge - Approach
Syncline Ridge - Approach

Once parked, the Syncline Ridge climbing area can easily be seen from the parking lot (see photo).  The area is characterized by three large buttresses that are separated from one another by two large gullies (see photo).  Follow the obvious hiking trail (located at the east end of the parking area) up over the first steep section, where it levels off somewhat and starts to gently climb up toward Hidden Valley (another climbing area).  Walk another 200 metres and you can see where the main trails heads up through a broken cliff band – turn right here and walk down and up through the large obvious gully.  From there you scramble through the lower cliff band and then just pick your way up (no trail) steeply until the first cliff face is reached.  The approach takes approximately one hour.

Routes

The Routes

Syncline Ridge - 2nd Buttress
Syncline Ridge - 2nd Buttress

Currently, all of the climbs are on either the first or second buttress. 

First Buttress Climbs

1.  Revision Quest (5.10+) – Four pitches. The second and third pitches are the most difficult.  A combination of bolts and gear.  All belays are bolted with rap chains. (FA: A. Jones, J. Albrecht)


Second Buttress Climbs (see photo)

2.  Elliot Route (5.11 A1) – This is the first climb encountered on the second buttress. Look for the line of bolts going through the steep roof about a quarter of the way up the face.  The roof has not been freed, but the first ascent party felt it would go at 5.12 something.  It can be pulled through on draws.  The pitch up the headwall is on beautiful limestone and goes at 5.11.  It is a sport route.  Sean Elliot put it up and gave it a name, but I can't remember what it is, so I will call it the "Elliot Route" until I remember or someone tells me.  (FA: S. Elliot)

3.  Shine (5.10c) – This is the second climb encountered on the buttress.  Look for the line of bolts just right of the previous route.  It tackles the same roof by going around it on the right.  Three pitches of 5.10, with the last pitch being the crux. It’s a sport route.  (FA: M. Reynolds)

4.  Reynold’s Wrap (5.10-) – This is the obvious corner about ¾ of the way along the second buttress.  It is mainly a trad climb, with some fixed protection sprinkled throughout.  The belays are bolted, but there are no chains.  Three pitches, with the middle one (the corner) being the crux.  (FA: M. Reynolds)

Getting down

The four established routes on Syncline Ridge can all be rappelled; however, bring addition cord/slings as some rappel stations are not equipped with chains.  Two 60 meter ropes is recommended. 

Pitch 3 - Revision Quest
Pitch 3 - Revision Quest

Reynold's Wrap - Pitch 2
Reynold's Wrap - Pitch 2

Red Tape

The area is within Jasper National Park.  A park pass must be purchased to be within the park.  This is no permission required to put up climbs.

When to Climb

Depending on the weather, climbing can start here in April and last into the end of September.  The best time is mid May through to mid September.

Camping

There are a number of good campgrounds in the Jasper and Hinton area.

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Jasper/Hinton Rock ClimbsMountains & Rocks