River of Rocks Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.64150°N / 75.992°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike (Class 1)
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


Follow the directions in the "Getting There" section of the main page. This trail branches off from the lookout trail at the South Lookout.

Route Description


This route descends 600 feet to the valley below and gets you some up close and personal looks at the River of Rocks. These massive boulder fields were deposited here during the last Ice Age, approximately 10,000-15,000 years ago. The rock is quartzite mixed in with some glacial cobbles. If you venture out onto these rocks, make sure you are very careful because they're quite shifty. The trail makes a loop back up around to the south ridge of Hawk Mountain. This means you'll gain all 600 feet again, but be rewarded with some nice views once on top. The loop trip is about three miles altogether.

Essential Gear


Comfortable hiking shoes, water/snacks, trekking poles, and a camera.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.