Roaring Brook - Hopper Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 42.63750°N / 73.1667°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Walk-up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


From MA Rte 7 head east on Roaring Brook Rd (.6 North of the New Ashford/ Williamstown Sign). Travel 1/2 mile to trailhead parking on the left.

After parking, walk up the road to a trail heading down that leaves the road from the left near the Greylock Ski Club Signs. There are no trailhead signs marking the beginning of the trail.

Route Description


The hike is 6.1 miles round trip with 2491' of elevation.

Once you have left Roaring Brook Rd and begin the slight descent to Roaring Brook follow the white-blazed trail to the East. Shortly the trail crosses Roaring Brook and you begin to climb and leave the brook, however you quickly descend and return and cross the brook for a second time. Again you climb, leaving the brook only to return to the brook and cross for a third time (be sure to avoid the blue-blazed trail leading up and to the west as it leads you to a pasture that is not part of your trail).

After crossing for a third time the trail crosses a small tributary of Roaring Brook and begins a long ascent. You gain approximately 1200 feet in 1.4 miles where the trail is joined by the Deer Hill Trail from the right (south). Continue east on the Roaring Brook Trail, cross a small bridge and enter the Sperry Camp Ground.

From here you will take the Hopper Trail to the summit. To access Hopper Trail from the campground bear left immediately after crossing the bridge to the first crossroad (Sperry Rd). Go right at this junction and follow the signs up Sperry Rd to the Hopper Trail.

From here see Hopper Trail in the Routes Section.

Essential Gear


None Needed

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.