Route 1: Main Route from Squaw Peak Dirt Road

Route 1: Main Route from Squaw Peak Dirt Road

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.28280°N / 111.61672°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This is the quick route which can be done during times of the year when the dirt portion of Squaw Peak road is open. Less than 1.5 miles round trip and around 400 feet of vertical gain.

Getting There & Route Description

From I-15, take the 800 North Orem exit and proceed east until you reach Provo Canyon. Proceed up Provo canyon a couple miles until you reach the turn off on the right for Squaw Peak Road. Take Squaw Peak Road all the way (about 4 miles) until the split and go left towards Hope Campground. Proceed on the dirt road past Hope Campground about 2.5 miles until you come to a left cutback in the road that lies due east of Buffalo Mountain. You will see an opening in the fence and a steep trail up to it heading west from the road. Follow this trail west 1/3 of a mile until you reach the T intersection that comes up from Sunset Overlook. Proceed Straight and directly up the trail on the Southeast ridge 1/4 mile to the summit.
Trail Entrance from Squaw Peak Road

External Link

See Eric Willhite's fantastic trip report here (which is admittedly better than this page currently):

Willhite Web Buffalo Trip Report



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.