Route 4: From Rock Canyon

Route 4: From Rock Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 40.28280°N / 111.61672°W
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Getting there and Route Info

Getting there: From I-15, take Orem Center Street exit east all the way to Provo University Parkway. Turn right (south) on University Parkway and proceed to 2200 North. Take a left (east) on 2200 north and follow it straight up to the parking lot at the mouth of Rock Canyon. (The road will bank right at the intersection with the mouth of the Rock Canyon)

From Rock Canyon: Start at Rock Canyon in Provo (The actual canyon parking lot above the temple, NOT the park). Go up the canyon just over a mile until you come to the turn off on your left (north) that goes up to Squaw Peak. Go just over a mile up the trail to Squaw Peak until you reach a meadow that is essentially a saddle between Buffalo and Squaw Peak. Squaw Peak will be off to your left (Southwest) and Buffalo will be off to your right (Northeast) as you enter the meadow). From here, find your way to the southwest base of Buffalo and you will see a game trail through the large shale scree face. Take this very steep and switchbacked game trail up to where it finally meets with the regular Buffalo mountain trail on the Southeast side of the mountain. (This is near where the trail meets the break off trail that goes down to the Sunset Overlook.) Once you intersect the regular Buffalo Mountain trail, just turn left (north) on to it and follow it .2 miles to the top!






Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.