Scofield Canyon

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 38.31890°N / 115.5°W
Additional Information Route Type: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

Start at the end of Forest Road 412, which is about 7,600' in elevation. The road is blocked off by a vehicle barrier here. Walk past the vehicle barrier on a primitive road for about a half mile or so. You will then encounter a fork in the road just in front of an impressive rock outcropping. Take the right fork, and start heading northwest through a narrow canyon on the primitive road. The road continues for another half mile or so before it ends in an area of downed trees. Just off to the left is a very large and impressive Ponderosa tree. Once you enter this area of downfall, continue walking forward but angle to the right. After about 200', you will pick up an unmaintained trail on the side of the canyon that is in surprisingly good condition considering that it is seldom used. The trail is faint in places, but we didn't have any problems following it. Follow this trail through the forest for about a mile or so until it ends at the base of a hill. A rock cairn marks the end of the trail. A water tank is also located a few hundred feet to the right at Sidehill Spring. You are now at the edge of the forest. This is where the real climb begins.

Route Description

From the rock cairn, walk straight ahead past the last few trees. You are now out in the open at the base of a grassy slope. Climb straight up the slope to this point. The slope is fairly steep, but the footing is good. You will soon see a rocky spur at the top of the slope. Climb up to the base of the rocky spur. Then, head around to the right side of the rocky spur, and start traversing along the base of the cliffs. Continue following the base of the rocky cliffs. Do not attempt to directly ascend the cliffs in this area. Just continue along the base of the cliffs as they ascend up and around a corner to the left. Once you head around the corner, you will soon realize that you can go no further by hugging the base of the cliffs. The cliffs just kind of end at this point. However, you will see a steep dirt gully to the left. This gully is Class 2 plus, and can be considered the "crux" of the climb, although it isn't that difficult. Climb up this gully. Once you reach the top of the gully, you will be on the south ridge of Troy Peak. Turn right, and climb north up the partially forested ridge. The ridge is fairly simple to climb. Make the final push to the summit, where you can enjoy the views.

Hiking Distance: About seven miles round trip.
Elevation gain: 3,700'.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Troy PeakRoutes