SE Rib

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.00312°N / 116.41143°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log


Overview

Long Hollow Creek comes down off of Squaw Butte and crosses Spring Creek Road very near where the ideal parking spot is for the East Side Routes. Follow the upper reaches of Long Hollow Creek (Burned in 2006) from about 3900 feet to about 4450 where you'll be at the base of the Southeast Rib. There's a faint jeep road up to this point. From here, ascend steeply between the volcanic rocks toward the lookout summit. More challenging terrain can easily be avoided by either weaving in and out of the rocks, or coming out onto the open slopes just west of the Rib. This is the steepest area on this mountain and you could go directly up and over some sheer cliffs.

From the summit crest, head north to the lookout tower. To avoid downclimbing or scrambling down, follow the ridge south to the next prominent ridge that runs perpendicular to the summit ridge. Take this down for an easier descent.

SE Rib Topo Route

Getting There

Squaw Butte is located about 10 miles northeast of Emmett, 12.2 miles northwest of Horseshoe Bend, and 30 miles north-northwest of Boise, Idaho.


Road Approach

Obtain Route 52 from either Emmett or Horseshoe Bend Idaho. The turn-off is right at Black Canyon Dam and the road is marked Spring Creek. Follow this road north with the route and peak visible most of the time. For the eastern climbs, park about 5.6 miles north on this road at a spot just before the roads turns east and drops down. There are ranches in the area, but the eastern flanks are all public land. Private land-owners in the area have been known to question what your doing there. One old man told us the road was his (false), and said he was looking for the marijuana plants that people were growing near here.
Squaw Butte Ridge




Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.