The Prime Rib Gulley

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.00312°N / 116.41143°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking, Mountaineering, Big Wall, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 2
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: Class 3
Sign the Climber's Log

Introduction

Long Hollow Creek comes down off of Squaw Butte and crosses Spring Creek Road at the parking spot for the Eastern Routes. Follow the ridge directly east following Long Creek to the base of the Southeast Rib. There are many class 3 spires and sheer cliffs directly west of the gulley or you can stay up the gulley with is class 2. After ascending the Gulley, you can finish the loop by decending the SE Rib.

Start of the RouteStart of the Eastern Routes SE Rib and the Prime Rib Gulley


Base of the SE RibBase of the SE Rib Route- Turn right (East) here for the Prime Rib Gulley







Route Description

The “Prime Rib Gulley is on the eastern side of the SE Rib. Use the same starting point as the SE Rib route, ascend to the bottom of the rock spires at the base of the SE Rib route and proceed east to the bottom of the “Prime Rib” gulley, work your way north to the summit ridge about 1800 feet of elevation gain to reach the summit from the start of the route.

Prime Rib GulleyTraverse to the Prime Rib Gulley

The GulleyWorking the Prime rib Gulley



The Prime Rib LoopThe Prime Rib Route, ascend the Gulley and descend the SE Rib

Getting There

Squaw Butte is located about 10 miles northeast of Emmett, 12.2 miles northwest of Horseshoe Bend, and 30 miles north-northwest of Boise, Idaho.

Obtain Route 52 from either Emmett or Horseshoe Bend Idaho. The turn-off is right at Black Canyon Dam and the road is marked Spring Creek. Follow this road north with the route and peak visible most of the time. For the eastern climbs, park about 5.6 miles north on this road at a spot just before the roads turns east and drops down.



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.