Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 47.52938°N / 120.71905°W
Additional Information County: Chelan
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 4000 ft / 1219 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Snow Creek Wall is an impressive 800 feet tall granite face that towers above Snow Creek on the outskirts of Alpine Lakes Wilderness. The wall is about 0.25 miles wide and offers a substantial number of technical rock climbing routes ranging from 5.6 to 5.12 in difficulty and one to eight pitches in length. Climbing up to grade IV (Hyperspace and Iconoclast) can be had on the wall (thanks to Martin Cash for pointing out these two grade IV's). The climbing typically follows cracks connected by knobby slabs. "Summit" elevation given is a rough approximation based on USGS maps. Information taken largely from Jeff Smoot's Rock Climbing Washington book.

Getting There

Snow Creek Wall is located in the north eastern reaches of the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. From the downtown of Leavenworth, WA, head west on US highway 2. Right before the road leaves town, watch for a well-signed Icicle River Road on the left hand side. Take the Icicle River Road for 4.3 miles to the Snow Creek parking lot on the left hand side. Hike the Snow Creek trail from the parking lot as it initially drops down and crosses Icicle Creek and shortly thereafter the aqueduct. Stay on the trail for approx. 2 miles from the parking lot as it switchbacks its way up the east side of Snow Creek Canyon. As the trail levels off (c. 1 mile into the hike), you get your first good view of Snow Creek Wall on the opposite side of the creek. Stay on the trail until you are directly across from the Wall's "Shield" - a large face in the upper 1/3rd of the wall with a distinct crack running down its middle (pitches 5 and 6 of Outer Space). Watch for a tiny rock cairn on the right side (elevation approx. 2850 feet). At this point you are no more than a hundred feet above Snow Creek. Follow a faint (tree fall covered) climbers' trail down to a double log crossing over the creek (visible from main trail). Once across, look for cairns marking an initially faint climbers' trail which steeply climbs its way to the base of the Wall. There's a well beaten trail running directly under the foot of Snow Creek Wall which permits easy access to most routes.

Red Tape

Snow Creek Wall is located within the Alpine Lakes Wilderness. The North West Forest Pass is required to park at the trailhead ($5/day or $30/year). Also, a self-issued permit (at TH) for both day and overnight visitors is required to enter the wilderness. Note that pets are NOT allowed in the wilderness.

When To Climb

Icicle River Road (to the trail head) remains open year round. Climbing season is limited by your desire to posthole your way up through the snow in the winter time (and to climb in sub-zero temperatures). Typically, comfortable climbing season runs from March till October. The wall is E/SE facing.

Camping

Several NFS operated campgrounds are located along Icicle River Road. The closest one from Leavenworth is Eightmile followed by Bridge Creek. There are several more further in along Icicle River Road which tend to be slightly less crowded on busy weekends in the summer. They range in price from $10-$11 per site, per vehicle (2004 prices).

Mountain Conditions

Wenatchee National Forest ranger station in Leavenworth, WA might be able to provide some basic access information. Their address is: 600 Sherbourne Leavenworth, WA 98826 (509) 548-6977

Goat Fetish

A family (a gang?) of goats has made Snow Creek Wall and the surrounding area their home. So here they are for the viewing pleasure of all you goat perv's out there. Also check out this tease here.

External Links

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-4 of 4
Eric Sandbo

Eric Sandbo - Jul 4, 2004 3:50 am - Voted 10/10

Untitled Comment

Allow about an hour for descent from any routes to the top. Southern-half routes lead to a steep, loose, sometimes class-3 trail that switchbacks over by the trees to the south. Don't expect to be comfortable in tight rock shoes.
Northern routes include at least one rappel and some steep hiking in the edge of the woods to the north. Don't be tempted by the easier slopes on the back side of the wall (west side).
The climbs are worth the descent, though. And watch for mountain goats. They'll often go out of their way to watch you.

M and N Denyer

M and N Denyer - Jul 6, 2004 11:41 am - Hasn't voted

Untitled Comment

It also probably a good idea to keep your helmet on for the descent as the mountain goats are known to kick rocks down from above.

Josh Lewis

Josh Lewis - Jan 17, 2011 7:55 pm - Hasn't voted

Icicle Creek Camp Ground Cost

Last time I camped at Icicle Creek it was $16 for our camp site. Just thought I would let the word out.

rpc

rpc - Jan 20, 2011 3:37 pm - Hasn't voted

Re: Icicle Creek Camp Ground Cost

Josh - thanks man, I'll add the info to the scw page.

Viewing: 1-4 of 4


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

EnchantmentsMountains & Rocks
 
Leavenworth CragsMountains & Rocks