South Face

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.91660°N / 6.96170°E
Additional Information Route Type: Rock to grade III
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: PD-
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach


The base of the climb is a couloir in the centre of the South face, rising out of the Moine glacier. This is reached in 30 minutes from the Couvercle hut, or in two and a half hours from Montenvers.

Route Description


Slim on description for the moment - sorry! Guidebook description to follow.
The route can be difficult to find, so make sure you take a guidebook or notes with you. The climb is described in detail in the second volume of the Mont Blanc Massif guidebook. 3.5 hours up, descent by the same route; similar time needed.
The view from the top is stunning! a 360 degree panorama from the aiguilles rouges, clockwise to the drus, aiguille verte, droites, courtes, grandes jorasses, dent du géant, mont blanc, aiguille du midi, plan and requin and the mer de glace. Certainly one of the best vistas in the Alps.
If you head directly upwards as much as possible, you will leave the prescribed route fairly rapidly, and find much more interesting (and less polished) stuff, with a grade IV+ jamming crack (my nuckles are still scabbed..!), but as I say, guidebook description to follow soon.

Essential Gear


Ice axe and crampons essential for the approach.
Single 60m rope or twin 45m ropes (useful in descent), assortment of slings, mixed rack of rocks / jamming devices, and it might be useful to carry some abseil tat too. Plenty of natural protection; fantastic rock.
You will need a helmet - medium-high risk of stonefall from parties above you.

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
georgen

georgen - Jul 25, 2010 9:07 am - Voted 7/10

Difficulty

AD-,tricky route finding,pitches III+,abseils on descent,3.5 hours to the top is very,very fast time.4.5 hours at least.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.