South Meadow Road to Marcy Dam route

South Meadow Road to Marcy Dam route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.11250°N / 73.9239°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hike
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Long Walk Up
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

If you want to climb Mount Marcy in one day, and camp for free your best bet is to camp at the South Meadow trailhead. To get there, take the Adirondak Loj Road off of Rt. 73 for 3.8 miles. The turn is to the left, about 1 mile before you reach the Adirondak Loj. After a short drive, you reach a parking area where you can leave your car. There are campsites around the parking area where you can set up a tent.

These sites are not as popular as near the Marcy Dam, because you are still 8 miles from Marcy's summit.

This is really easy to find, but if you get confused, just go straight to the Adirondak Loj and ask them about it. They will give you directions.

 

Route Description

Wright Peak  photo_id=96408
Wright Peak (4580') as seen from Marcy Dam on the descent

A little before the parking area is an old forest road going towards the mountains to the right. Hike this road for 2.8 miles until you reach Marcy Dam.

While this is not the shortest route to Marcy's summit, it may be the fastest. The 2.8 miles to Marcy Dam are on a smooth dirt road, with few rocks. It takes less than an hour to get to Marcy Dam, and we did it in about 45 minutes.

Once you reach Marcy Dam, follow the Standard Route, the Van Hoevenberg Trail.

Round Trip Hiking Mileage: 16 miles
Elevation Gain: 3250 feet

Essential Gear

General hiking gear applies in the summer. Bugs are nasty on this route in the summer, so bug spray is essential for those first 2.8 miles to Marcy Dam.

In the early spring and winter you will need general winter gear for the Adirondaks, so crampons and an ice ax may be necessary.

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.