South Ridge

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 44.07800°N / 115.413°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Class 1
Sign the Climber's Log



Overview

The most common summertime approach to this peak is via a Jeep Road that ascends from the south. From the Pikes Fork Road, park your vehicle near a junction at 6825 feet and look for the road heading north. The main road drops down into Trapper Flat on the Crooked River and you'll know you've driven too far if you descend. Follow the Jeep road and in 2.75 miles and 1590 feet of elevation gain, you'll reach the fire lookout. This lookout is another in a series of lookouts throughout the area. Nearby Swanholm Peak has a lookout and so does Trinity Mountains and Scott Mountain to name a few. The summit has a commanding view of the Sawtooths, the Salmon River Mountains, and the Boise Mountains.
Jackson Peak from the SW


Getting There

Drive ID-21 north from Boise, past Idaho City and Mores Creek Summit. 4.5 miles past Mores Creek Summit, turn right onto Edna Creek Road (FS-384). Follow this road- along the way you'll see the Crooked River Trail, one of the few single-track trails in the region (Most are old Jeep roads). After 4.4 miles turn left onto the Pikes Fork Road. Take this road for 11 miles until the junction where you'll park. You'll pas Archie Mountain along the way and the historic Banner Mining area. There is a great view of the summit from just past the 7065 mark on the map, about 1.2 miles from the start. Depending on the snow year, the roads may not open until May.
Jackson Peak Topo
Lucky Peak Dam



Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.