Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.07800°N / 115.413°W
Additional Information County: Blaine
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8124 ft / 2476 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Jackson Peak Overview

Route Coming
Jackson Peak is located on the northern fringes of the vast Boise Mountain Range.

Jackson Peak, like many of the other lower Boise Mountain Peaks, has few characteristics besides its heighth to distinguish itself from the surrounding terrain. However, it is still an attractive peak and area. A massive fire in 1994 called the Lowman Fire destroyed thousands and thousands of acres of pristine mountain terrain but left in its wake a different type of beauty. Now, more than a decade later countless pine trees dot the once bare slopes showing signs of a new and healthy forest to come. Fotunately, Jackson Peak was located on the edge of this massive fire and about 50% of its tree covered slopes, as well as its seasonally operated fire lookout at the summit, where spared.

Jackson Peak rises swiftly nearly 4,000' in a matter of a few miles from Idaho-21, and although only about 8,000' high, this mountain is big and dominates the skyline along the South Fork Payette River east of Lowman.

A long and windy service road leads to the active fire lookout on the summit so expect others to be up there during the warmer months.

Getting There

To access Jackson Peak in winter for the winter ascent route from Boise, Idaho, follow Interstate 84-east until reaching the exit for Idaho-21 (a few miles).

Take scenic, yet windy, Idaho-21 past the old mining town of Idaho City, and up and over picteresque Mores Creek Summit to the tiny hamlet of Lowman. From Lowman, simply drive about 10.5 miles east until reaching the well marked sign for the Jackson Peak Trailhead.

The road is plowed during winter across the the Payette River but dead ends shortly after.

Red Tape

Caution: There are private homes and roads in this area with well marked trespassing signs. This is Idaho, DO NOT cross them.

Idaho-21 is often closed for most of the winter shortly after Jackson Peak due to high avalanche danger and is occasionally closed during the worst storms past Idaho-City. Please check the Idaho Transportation Department for furth info.

Camping

Several, obvious, campgrounds are located along Idaho-21 between Lowman and Jackson Peak, some of which are open during winter.

If not, limited lodging is available in nearby Idaho City.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.