Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.69600°N / 115.0748°W
Additional Information County: Elmore
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9527 ft / 2904 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From the trailhead, it is a mellow trail for about 5 miles. At about 2 miles, there is a hot pool.Approach & Climb

This is easy walking on a good tread that yields fast travel, but there are several creek crossings. The crossings were frozen when we climbed this peak (early November) but these are little creeks. Easily wadable, but probably even easier rock hops.
When you hit the toe of the south ridge, turn uphill and start bushwhacking. The early going is pretty brushy, but as you gain altitude the vegetation become more sparse and the ridge is easy to navigate.
The last couple hundred feet require rock hopping skills in loose talus. SOP here in Idaho.

Getting There

Gunsight Peak is situated just north of the South Fork of the Boise River. Start by driving through Featherville, Idaho on an improved dirt road and look for the road sign for Willow Creek.
The road up Willow Creek is slightly rougher and quite narrow. The road is dirt, but passable by any passenger car. You will pass several camping areas along the way. At the end of the road, there is a turnaround and parking, concrete toilet, and horse-loading ramp. Lots of room to park.

Red Tape

No red tape.
However, this is snow country, so check ahead with the Forest Service to determine if the road along the South Fork is open; it is not maintained for winter travel, and is completely closed during the winter to protect wildlife.

Camping

There are designated campsites along the South Fork, and more non-designated camping along Willow Creek.
If you drive PAST Willow Creek, a few more miles will see you at Baumgartner Campground, where there is a hot springs.