Kepros Mountain

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.56000°N / 115.939°W
Additional Information Elevation: 5428 ft / 1654 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kepros Mountain is located in the Boise Mountains of central Idaho.

Kepros Mountain, more specifically found in the western edge of the Danskin Subrange, is a true high desert peak. Little in the way of forestry can be found along its broad, sage-filled slopes. Kepros is located at the edge of the endless wilderness of central Idaho and offers a wonderful perspective into the heart of the Boise range and its two subranges, the Danskin and Trinity Mountains.

Don't be fooled by this little peak's low elevation and close proximity to a major city (about 13 miles as the crow flies to Boise), its summit is not easily reached during the prime hiking season. It is a 10 mile, round-trip, ridge-walk from Black Creek Summit in Winter, Spring, and Summer, but is reached by a road that opens during fall for hunting purposes.

Kepros's appearence is less than noteworthy while approaching it from the south but its prominence can easily be noticed along the eastern skyline when in Boise. Perhaps the most enjoyable view of the mountain is above Lucky Peak Reservoir where its slopes plummet steeply into this massive volume of water.

Getting There

From the Boise, Idaho airport, access Interstate-84 heading east. Drive about 15 minutes east of town to the Black Creek Road Exit. Follow this road north and northeast to Black Creek Summit in about 13 miles on a paved and then good dirt road.

Red Tape

The road that continues to the summit of Kepros Mountain is only open during the fall months for hunting activities. Disregard this as a destination hiking spot during that time.

The Black Creek Road may be closed during wet winter years. If this is the case, add a couple miles to the total climb.

Camping

Camping along the route itself is not recommended due to the exposed terrain, however, there is somewhat ample camping space at Black Creek Summit.

There are no campgrounds nearby.

External Links

For local weather information and a 7 day forecast visit the NOAA Website.

Also, for current road conditions and other local information, please check out the Idaho Outdoors Forum.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
jfrishmanIII

jfrishmanIII - Feb 9, 2010 1:28 pm - Hasn't voted

Lat/Long

Just noticed that your coordinates for this peak are off. The interactive map feature puts it up in the Gospel Hump Wilderness.

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Apr 24, 2022 3:19 pm - Voted 9/10

Mileages to the TH

From I-84 Exit #64 we clocked 10.7 miles to the TH. There is a "paved" Y ( junction) on the road - go left. From this split it is 4.6 miles to the TH. One mile after the split the road becomes gravel. We indicated about 4,715' elevation at the TH. These are approximations but they should be fairly accurate. :)

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.