Spittal of Glenmuick Route(Normal Route)

Spittal of Glenmuick Route(Normal Route)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 56.95624°N / 3.24276°W
Additional Information Route Type: Walk
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Straight forward walking route
Sign the Climber's Log

Route Description


From Spittal of Glenmuick bear right immediately after the visitor centre and head along the land rover track to the small out-house of the Alt-na-giubhsaich. Continue in the same direction through the pretty pine forest for a short distance until you re-emerge onto a land rover track. Follow this for about 3km to a fork in the track. Head left along a smaller path which drops down slightly before a steady 2km climb brings you to the saddle between Meikle Pap and Lochnagar. From here views of the cliffs are spectacular and this makes a pleasant spot for a break, if you are feeling fit a short but steep climb up to the summit of Meikle Pap will reward you vith even finer views. From the saddle continue up steep boulders known as "the ladder". From the top the gradient eases for a short distance as you walk along the plateau. There is a choice of two paths, the right hand one goes along the edge of the cliffs and is only recommended in calm, clear conditions. The left hand path takes a longer but safer line around the cliff edge. From the small subsiduary top of Cac Carn Mor continue over to the obvious summit of Cac Carn Beag where you will be rewarded for your efforts. To descend either retrace your footsteps and return by the same route or pick up the Glas-alt-Shiel path from the summit of Cac Carn Mor (see Glas-alt-Shiel route for more detail)

Essential Gear


Normal walking gear including:
>Map (OS Landranger 44 or Explorer 388)
>Compass
>Good waterproof

If doing the route in winter or early spring the ice-axe and crampons are essential

Miscellaneous Info


If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

LochnagarRoutes