Spring Adventures with BearQueen on Little Beacon Rock and Mt. Tabor

Spring Adventures with BearQueen on Little Beacon Rock and Mt. Tabor

Page Type Page Type: Trip Report
Location Lat/Lon: 20.27515°N / 31.65397°E
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Date Date Climbed/Hiked: May 17, 2016
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring

BearQueen and EastKing on Little Beacon Rock
BearQueen and EastKing are happy on Little Beach Rock
BearQueen not giving up and getting out...on Little Beacon Rock In Vancouver, Washington

BearQueen: I am not giving up, and i am getting outside...with EastKing

   
Greg and I took a nice drive down to Vancouver, Washington and we went up this beautiful mountain trail of Little Beacon Rock. This trail is serene, tranquil, and does not seem that populated, although we did run into the Park Ranger Station.
This has been a tough time for me. I have been a delegate with the Bernie campaign and although it has been wonderful, it has gotten so stressful in terms of the time commitment and constant meetings. I have been unemployed since May 6th, and instead of having time to look for jobs, the time commitment has been so overwhelming...that I really have needed to get away, and I am so lucky to have EastKing to help me to snap me back into shape for my emotional health.


The whole trail loops quickly to the top and was very short. As you get closer to the top, you see a scramble. For me, with 100 extra pounds and chronic pain, everything that is slightly steep looks even steeper. So, it was steep to me. It was hard for me due to chronic pain that I am dealing with and the pressure of the weight. However, for most experienced hikers, it probably seems like an easy scramble with a slight steep grade.


The reward was getting to the top with EastKing. The view from the top of seeing miles of Columbia Gorge winding like a friendly, beautiful snake throughout the whole region made the hike worth it, and gave it a lot of bang for the buck. I was overcome with the beauty of it so I laid down and was immediately overcome by it so I laid down and rested while EastKing walked around.

 
Once can see an amazing view of the Vancouver area and the mountains lining the Columbia Gorge in the background It ranks in the top ten of views we have seen since I have been in the beautiful Northwest. I want to thank EastKing for this tranquil and beautiful hike. Though it was hard for me getting down due to my weight and continued challenges, I look forward to working hard for my health so that I can get my life back and next year, we can do so much more.




Rebekah and Greg Happy on Little Beacon Rock
Rebekah and Greg Happy on Little Beacon Rock


Unnamed Image
REBEKAH (BEARQUEEN) smiling on Little Beacon Rock, Bernie Buttons and all

BearQueen smiling and happy to be out and about on Little Beacon Rock...




The beautiful Columbia Gorge...
The beautiful Columbia Gorge...


Unnamed ImageThe striking view of Columbia River Gorge...



Beautiful Flower
Beautiful Wildflowers on Little Beacon Rock


The beautiful rocks near Little Beacon Rock as part of Columbia River Gorge
The beautiful rocks near Little Beacon Rock as part of Columbia River Gorge


Unnamed Image
The Beautiful Rocks that jut out in the middle of Columbia River Gorge

Unnamed Image
Rebekah Happiest in Nature: Columbia River Gorge in background


Rebekah (BearQueen) is happiest when in nature and with EastKing on mountains
Hobbit House from Mt. Tabor

BearQueen goes to Mt. Tabor Peak in Portland, Oregon and is determined to lose 100 pounds...

MOUNT TABOR PARK: May 25th, 2016

There are many wonderful things about Portland, Oregon. But one of the most wonderful things in the this quirky city is the charming park that is Mt. Tabor City Park in Portland. After driving from downtown Seattle, we finally made it into the city and had still gotten there in the afternoon with plenty of time to make the peak. There is plenty of parking on the side of the roads on each side of Mt. Tabor Park and usually, the people parking are very friendly about pointing out where their spaces are. Greg and I marched through the windy trails with a gradual upgrade until you get up to the top of the peak. The park has some wonderful views of the city of Portland. However, it was not until we rode the Portland Aerial Tram that we got the best views! :) However, I have to say that the best part about Mt. Tabor Peak is how it is blended in so nicely with the rest of the park and you can meet people walking around the park.

As I had said in the previous week's hike a week before this at Little Beacon Rock, it was such a welcome thing to go to Little Beacon Rock with Greg and get a break from the drama and craziness that is being a passionate Bernie Delegate and needing to get away from some drama that I had been experiencing around it. (I am honored to be a Bernie Delegate, but the obligations have gotten so stressful, that I have not been focusing on my job hunt.) Therefore, it brings up to the importance of getting away for mental health breaks, even if just for one day.
  
In the park, you will find Hobbit like restrooms that look like houses, and bright green moss. And there are many, many hippies in this park. We met a guy name Matt who was a passionate vegan and he tapped into our deep desire to get healthy by making some really good arguments about why to go vegetarian and eliminating red meat. I have Insulin Resistance and Fibromyalgia and Greg has a Thyroid issue that he needs to take medication for. So, Matt seemed to realy care and spoke to both of our desires to be healthy.

After we rode the Tram, we were inspired by Matt, the vegan, to go to a place called "Next Level Burgers" in the Hawthorne District in Portland, but they were cash only.
Therefore, we went to a wonderful and amazing Thai and Vietnamese Restaurant called Than Thao Vietnamese and Thai Cuisine.
What a wonderful day...
Unnamed Image
Squirrel on Mount Tabor Peak


Unnamed Image
Hobbit House from Mt. Tabor


Unnamed ImageEastKing and BearQueen on Mount Tabor

Unnamed Image
Mount Tabor view of Portland, Oregon


Comments

No comments posted yet.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Little Beacon RockTrip Reports