Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.63355°N / 122.02227°W
Additional Information County: Skamania
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 725 ft / 221 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Looking from the summit of Little Beacon Rock
Looking from the summit of Little Beacon Rock
 
Little Beacon Rock is a small sub-peak located in the Beacon Rock State Park. Like Beacon Rock, this outcrop features excellent views over the Columbia River Gorge and of the sharp cliff summit of Beacon Rock as well. The route to the summit from the nearby campground can take only minutes of the views from the summit area are actually very impressive. This little peak-let can also be an add on if one is going to be heading up to Hamilton Mountain. One will only be adding a mile and 200 feet of elevation gain to their trip if they combine Little Beacon Rock and Hamilton Mountain.  


The summit rocks
The summit rocks


EastKing and I really enjoyed going up this small mountain with a bit of a scramble (Easy for experienced hikers but challenging for those like me who have physical challenges).  What is really amazing when you get to the top is the beautiful and amazing views of Portland, as well as many mountain ranges in the distance.  The views of the Columbia River Gorge is so stunning that it makes a lot of "Bank for the buck" for the size of the mountain, and it creates a serene, relaxing effect.  


This is a great day hike and well worth it to see the beauty of the Columbia Gorge region. 


Looking from the summit of Little Beacon ROck
Beautiful Gorge and Mountains from Little Beacon Rock Summit




Route

Little Beacon Rock Map
Little Beacon Rock Map

Total Distance Round trip: .52 miles
Elevation Gain: 160 feet

Unnamed Image


Unnamed Image
EastKing and BearQueen on Little Beacon Rock



BearQueen on the bottom of the scramble
BearQueen on the bottom of the scramble


The trail starts out with a slight angle and is very easy going. It slowly curves up above the campground heading into a grove of trees. Through the trees you can see a small switchback around a small hill of rocks. Past this hill there is a rock which I have seen people label as Little Beacon Rock, but when I asked about it to a park ranger said the trail next to it heading up a small scramble was Little Beacon Rock. To the right of this smaller rock is the trail heading up and it is covered in smaller loose rocks. Once you are at the top follow a small ridge to the summit where you can see the Gorge and Beacon Rock. If you have time after hiking Beacon Rock this hike is worth while.

BearQueen heading down
BearQueen heading down the loose boot-path back to the grated trail


Getting There

This summit is located in Beacon Rock State Park 35 miles east of Vancouver, Wash. in Skamania County.

From Seattle:
Take I-5 south to Vancouver. Just north of Vancouver, take I-205 south. Follow I-205 south to the Hwy. 14 exit (last exit before crossing the Columbia River into Oregon). Follow Hwy. 14 east. Beacon Rock and the park entrance are located at mile post 35. Turn up the park entrance and head up into the camp ground. Near the back there is parking for the trail head.

From Portland:
Take I-84 eastbound along the Columbia River to Cascade Locks. At Cascade Locks, cross the Columbia River into Washington on the Bridge of the Gods toll bridge. Turn left onto Hwy. 14. Follow Hwy. 14 west for seven miles to Beacon Rock. Turn up the park entrance and head up into the camp ground. Near the back there is parking for the trail head.

Red Tape

A Discover Pass is Required for any hike up Little Beacon Rock. It is $10 for the day or $30 for the year.

Camping

While you do not need to camp out for this small hike the trailhead is located in a camp ground that is open almost all year round. This campground does have fees and it takes a self payment at the beginning of the campground.  (can close due to weather/damage)

Weather

NOAA Weather Service

External Links

OregonHikers.Org Link to Little Beacon Rock

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Columbia River GorgeMountains & Rocks