Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.65335°N / 121.97992°W
Additional Information County: Skamania
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 1141 ft / 348 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Bonneville Dam
Bonneville Dam

Aldrich Butte, located just east of Beacon Rock State Park is yet another lesser known summits in the Columbia River Gorge area. This peak gets overshadowed by more popular summits such as Dog Mountain, Beacon Rock and Hamilton Mountain but is clearly a special mountain all to itself. Like other mountains in this particular area Aldrich Butte has excellent views of the Columbia River Gorge and of other mountains throughout the region. The hike up to Aldrich Butte is very simple compared to nearby Table Mountain and Hamilton Mountain and probably will take no more than an hour or two roundtrip. This peak is ideal for novices or for those rehabilitating from injury. This is also ideal in winter when the other peaks might be covered in fog and clouds. 

Cedar Mountain and Table Mountain
Cedar Mountain and Table Mountain
 

Getting There

VIA THE DICK THOMAS TRAILHEAD: Take Highway 14 east past Skamania and Beacon Rock State Park. Once past Beacon Rock State Park make a left to Hot Springs Way. After go underneath a railroad, make a right at the T  and drive to Bonneville Hot Springs Resort. Make a sharp left turn to E. Cascade Drive and take it all the way to a stop sign. Head straight through the stop sign and make a right to the Bonneville Hot Springs Resort. Pay for parking at the front desk and then drive around back for the gravel parking area.

*It should be noted that old literature states that there is an Aldrich Butte trailhead. This is on private land and has since been closed. Go to the Dick Thomas Trailhead listed above.

Route

Map of the Route
Map of the Route

3.2 miles roundtrip

1000 feet elevation gain

YDS Class 1

Take the trail from the Dick Thomas Trailhead for 1 mile all the way to Carpenter Lake. This trail go up at a gradual to moderate pitch. From there pick up the Aldrich Butte Trail and take it all the way to the summit (0.6 miles) while avoid all the other intersection on the trail. You will know you are on the summit when you hit an opening with excellent views of the Gorge.

BearQueen on a bridge
BearQueen on a bridge

The exposed trail
Optional exposed trail

Red Tape

You will have to go to the front desk and pay $5 dollars to park at the Bonneville Hot Springs Resort.

When to Climb

BearQueen heading up
BearQueen heading up

This peak can be hike comfortably year round with no special equipment during most normal years.

Camping

At 3.2 miles this is not a peak one would go to camp on. Also the parking situation does not warrant this as a desirable camping area. If you want to camp there is more organized camping located in Beacon Rock State Park that does require an additional fee.

External Links


Aldrich Butte Peakbagger Page


Excellent page by Oregonhikers.Org on Aldrich Butte

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Brian Jenkins

Brian Jenkins - Apr 1, 2018 7:08 pm - Hasn't voted

no more trailhead at the Hot Springs Resort

The resort was bought out and is now like a detox/rehab facility. They no longer allow parking there or along their roads nearby. They say the only access now is at the PCT trailhead on Hwy 14 which makes this a lot longer proposition. Affects nearby Table Mountain too.

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Columbia River GorgeMountains & Rocks