Standard Route

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 36.07902°N / 115.4921°W
Additional Information Route Type: Scrambling
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Most of a day
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The route to the summit starts with a well=maintained trail that takes you into First Creek. After 45 minutes or so of climbing up and over boulders, the route travels through the south fork of First Creek. It heads for a magnicent balcony, before ascending a steep dry fall. From there it a short scramble to the peak.
Stats:
Trailhead: First Creek — marked
Distance: 7 miles
Elevation gain: 2,470 feet
Elevation Peak: 6,120 feet
Time: 5 to 7 hours


Getting There

From the Mirage on Las Vegas Boulevard (the Strip) go north three miles and turn left (west) onto Charleston Boulevard. Drive 21 miles on Charleston (it becomes State Route 159) to the signed First Creek parking area on the right (west) side of the road. This is the trailhead for the standard route.

Route Description

Follow the signed trail to the mouth of First Creek Canyon. Although many paths emerge stay to the left of the wash until a cottonwood tree comes into view. Hike west in the wash past numerous class 3 bouldering problems. Continue to the Maze, group of boulders forming a wild tunnel under them. About 100 yards beyond the Maze hike alongside the south (left) wall of the canyon until the wash narrows and climb a chimney.
Chimney

At the top of this chimney a 100-foot, dead tree leans against the north bank of the wash. First Creek Peak divides the canyon just past the tree. Veer left into the south fork. In the first 100 yards you’ll come to a class 5 climb. Follow a path around to the right to avoid the climb. In about 100 yards the canyon opens up into a red bottom terrace. At the top of the terrace the canyon divides again. Hike into the north (right) fork. In about 30 yards before a log and wall scramble out of the wash up along the right side of the canyon. Descend back into the wash and continue up the canyon. Follow a path about 40 yards through the brush to a 50-foot, still-standing, dead tree. Head south (left) a few yards to the sandstone slab. Scramble up the slab about 20 yards and duck under branches of a juniper. Once past the juniper the brush disappears.
Continue up the sandstone and find a cairn marking a path through the brushy drainage. The path ends at a low angled wall. Traverse the wall to scrub oak bushes.

Traverse
Scramble up the wall (it’s less steep here) and head east (left) around a higher wall. Be careful if the sandstone is wet. It’s very slippery. Once around the corner, walk out on a balcony for a great view of First Creek and the south face of Mt. Wilson. Keep walking south about 200 yards along a ledge to a dry fall.
Dry fall

This is an exposed, almost 100-foot, class 4 climb. Once up, head SW to the summit.

Essential Gear

Just a good pair of hiking boots/shoes.
Some might want a rope for the class 4 dry fall near the summit.

External Links

Add External Links text here.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.